Table of Contents
Kerala is derived from two words kera which means ‘Coconut tree’ and alam which stands for ‘land’, in other words Kerala means land of Coconut trees. It is one of the smallest states in India with the Malabar Coast of the Arabian Sea, with Thousand five hundred sq. miles that extend Seventy five miles in breadth and Twenty miles in width. Kerala is a well-defined region, which is separated by the Western Ghats that runs parallel to the sea for about eighty five miles.
Kerala’s main native and official language is Malayalam which is originated from Tamil, the native language of the neighboring state Tamil Nadu.
In this blog we will discuss the History, Geography, Basic facts and other important aspects of Kerala. This article is going to be very useful for aspirants who are preparing for various competitive exams.
Interesting Facts about Kerala: History
This section will tell you more about the History of Kerala :
- Kerala was Formed on 1 Nov 1956.
- The capital was formed in the year 1947.
- Thiruvanathapuram is its largest city.
- It is also called the Spice Garden of India.
- Kerala was ruled by the following Dynasities:
- Chera Dynasity
- Ay Dynasity
- Ezhimala Dynasity
- Major Historical Events of Kerala:
- Channar revolt (1822 – 1859)
- Consecration at Aruvippuram (1888)
- Formation of SNDP (1903)
- NSS (1914)
- Yogakshema Sabha (1908)
- Vaikom Satyagraham (1924)
- Guruvayur Satyagraham (1931 -32)
- Malayali Memorial (1891)
- Ezhava Memorial (1896)
- Nivarthana Agitation (1931-1938)
- Paliam Satyagraham (1947)
- Temple Entry Proclamation (1936)
- Kallumala Struggle (1915)
- Cherayi Misrabhojanam (1917)
- Kuriyedath Thathri’s Smarthavicharam (1905)
- Mappila Riot (1921)
Structure and Physio graphic divisions (Geography)
- Kerala is bordered by Karnataka towards its north and northeast, Tamil Nadu towards its east and south, and the sea of Lakshadweep Sea at its
- This State was made on 1 November 1956, after the declaration of the States Re-organisation Act by combining Malayalam-speaking regions. Spread over an area of 38,863 km Sq or 15,005 sq mi.
Important geographic facts of Kerala:
- Total Land is spread over an area of 38,863 km Sq or 15,005 sq mi.
- It consists of 75 Taluks.
- Its State Animal is Indian Elephant.
- Its State Bird is Great Horn bill.
- Its State Flower is Golden Shower.
- Its State Tree is Coconut Tree.
- The population of this state is 3,33,87,677
- Its 23rd in Area Rank and 13th in Population Rank .
- Its Population density is 860 per sq. Km.
- Its neighboring states are Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- About the soils and minerals of Kerala:
- Soils: Loam, Laterite, Alluvial, Chernozem.
- Dimension Stone (Granite)
- Fire Clay
- Tile and Brick
- Silica Sand
- Iron ore
- China Clay
- Major Crops of Kerala
- Areca nut
- Cinnamon etc.
- Climate of Kerala
- Humid, tropical wet climate
- Tropical wet and dry climate
- Major Rivers of Kerala
- Periyar River
- Bharatapuzha River
- Chalakudy River
- Pamba River
- Chaliyar River
- Major Floras of Kerala
- Acacia catechu
- Alpinia galanga
- Biophytum spp.
- Crateva Magna
- Gloriosa superba
- Phyllanthus amarus
- Piper longum
- Major Faunas of Kerala
- Indian elephant
- Bengal tiger
- Indian leopard
- Nilgiri tahr
- common palm civet
- grizzled giant squirrels
- king cobra,
- Mugger crocodile
- Malabar Trogon
- The great horn bill
- Kerala laughing thrush
- Southern hill myna
Administrative Structure of Kerala
The following table gives you information about the Administrative structure of Kerala.
|Chief Ministers||Pinarayi Vijayan|
|Governor||Arif Mohammad Khan|
|No. of District||14|
|Vidhan Parishad (Legislative Council)||NA|
|Vidhan Sabha (Legislative Assembly)||140|
|Railway Stations||Thiruvananthapuram Central
|Time Zone||IST (UTC +5:30)|
|Postal Code||Different according to area|
|Vehicle Code||KL —|
|Judiciary||Kerala High Court|
|Seal||Logo of Kerala|
Languages of Kerala
Religions of Kerala
Dams of Kerala
|Banasura Sagar Dam||Chalakudy River|
|Malampuzha Dam||Malampuzha River|
|Peechi Dam||Manali River|
|Idukki Dam||Periyar River|
|Kundala Dam||Parambikulam River|
|Parambikulam Dam||Parambikulam River|
|Walayar Dam||Walayar River|
|Mullaperiyar Dam||Pennar River|
|Neyyar Dam||Pennar River|
National Parks of Kerala
|Anamudi Shola National Park||7.50 Km2|
|Eravikulam National Park||97 Km2|
|Mathikettan Shola National Park||12.82 Km2|
|Pambadum Shola National Park||1.32 Km2|
|Periyar National Park||305 Km2|
|Silent Valley National Park||237 Km2|
Arts & Culture of Kerala
Dances of Kerala
The Major Dances of Kerala are:
- Thullal Kottiyattom
- Bharat Natyam
Kerala in the field of Music
- Classic Music of Kerala
- Carnatic Music
- Panchari melam
Major Festivals of Kerala
- Thrissur Pooram
- Theyyam festival
- Arthunkal perunnal Utsavam
Major Cuisine of Kerala
- Puttu Appam
- Chicken Curry
- Beef fry
- Fish Curry
Traditional Dress of Kerala
- White shirt
- Mundu Saree
Economy of Kerala
|State GDP||₹9.78 lakh crore (US$140 billion)|
|Growth rate||11.6% (2018-19)|
|Per capita income||₹ 2,04,105|
|GDP per capita rank||10th|
Important Stadiums of Kerala
|Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium||Kochi||both Cricket &
|Trivandrum International Stadium||Trivandrum||Sports
|Malappuram District Sports Complex||Malappuram||Football|
|Thrissur Municipal Corporation Stadium||Thrissur||Football|
|International Hockey Stadium||Kollam||Hockey|
|Chandrasekharan Nair Stadium||Thiruvananthapuram||Football|
Nuclear & Space Research Centre
|India Rare Earths Limited||Alwaye|
|National Centre for Earth Science
|Thumba equatorial Launching
|Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre||Thiruvananthapuram|
International Airports of Kerala
|Kannur International Airport||Kannur|
|Cochin International Airport||Kochi|
|Calicut International Airport||Kozhikode|
|Trivandrum International Airport||Thiruvananthapuram|
Education in Kerala
- It is the most highly literate state of the country.
- The Kerala school of astronomy and mathematics was formed between 14 and the 16th century which is the oldest educational institution of the state.
- Kerala has 93.91% literacy compared to the national literacy rate of 74.04%as per the 2011 census.
- In January 2016, Kerala achieved 100% in primary education via its program called Athullyam.
|1.||Literacy Rate (2011)||93.91%|
|4.||No. of School||12,644
Kerala State Education Board
|6.||No. of University||19 Approx (Central 2, State 13, Deemed 3|
|7.||Colleges in Kerala||485
(Management, Institute of National Importance Engineering, Medical, law)
Museums of Kerala
|Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Police Museum||Kollam|
|Mural Art Museum||Thrissur|
|Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda Museum||Thrissur|
|Indian Business Museum||Kozhikode|
|Kerala Soil Museum||Thiruvananthapuram|
|Pazhassi Raja Archaeological Museum||Kozhikode|
|Wayanad Heritage Museum||Ambalavayal|
Heritage Sites of Ketala
|Major Tourist Places||Alleppey
|Major Monuments||Dutch Palace
St. Francis Church
- Ashtamudi Lake
- Kuttanad Lake
- Paravur Kayal
- Punnamada Lake
- Shasthamkotta lake
- Vellayani Lake
- Vembanad Lake
Nicknames of Cities
|Kochi or Cochin||Gateway to Kerala
Queen of the Arabian Sea
|Kollam||Cashew Capital of the World
Gateway to Backwaters
Prince of Arabian sea
|Alappuzha||Venice of the East|
|Thiruvananthapuram||City of Statues
Evergreen City of India
|Kozhikode||City of Spices|
|Kannur||City of Looms and Lores|
|Kottayam||City of letters (Aksharanagri),
Murals latex lakes
|Kasaragod||Land of Palm trees
Rice bowl of Kerala
|Thrissur||The Cultural Capital of Kerala
Land of Poorams
The land of Vadakkumnathan
Gold capital of India.
|Wayanad||God’s Own district|
Other Important Information
|Sea Ports||Name: Cochin Port
|Waterfalls||Name: Meenmutty Falls
Height: 300 meters
Name: Soochipara Falls
Height: 200 metres
|Hydro-Electric Power Plant||Name: Idukki Hydro Electric Power Plant
|Bird Sanctuaries||Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary|
|Wild Life Sanctuary||Periyar (305 km2 )
Parambikulam (285 Km2)
Chinnar (90.44 Km2)
|National Park||Kudremukh (97 sq.Km)
National Park(236.74 sq.km)
|Famous Temple||Sabarimala Temple
Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple
|First Women in India||Name: Anna Chandy
Description: The first Indian woman to be in the position of High Court judge (Kerala High Court)
Kerala basic facts: Quiz
1. Kerala is ________ largest state by population.
2. _______ dynasty was the first prominent kingdom based on Kerala.
3. ______ is the highest populated district of Kerala.
4. ______ is the largest district in Kerala.
5. Technopark, the largest Information Technology park in Asia , is in _________?
6. Kerala has ____Lok Sabha and ____Rajya Sabha seats from Kerala.
a) 20 and 10
b) 21 and 9
c) 24 and 13
d) 22 and 12
7. What do you mean by Sukrutham?
a) Free Education Program
b) Free Cancer Treatment Program
c) Free Housing Program
d) Free Vaccination Program
8. Which of the following is not in Kerala?
a) Silent Valley National Park
b) Eravikulam National Park
c) Pambadum Shola National Park
d) Madhav National Park
9. ____________ among the following dance is not a major one of Kerala.
10. Who was the First Chief Minister of Kerala?
a) C Achutha Menon
b) K Karunakaran
c) Pattom A. Thanu Pillai
d) EMS Namboodiripad
11. Who is the Current CM Of Kerala?
(a) V. S. Achuthanandan
(b) Oommen Chandy
(c) Pinarayi Vijayan
(d) A. K. Antony
12. Who is the Current governor Of Kerala?
(a) M. O. H. Farook
(b) Nikhil Kumar
(c) Arif Mohammad Khan
(d) Sheila Dikshit
13. Who is the Current Chief Justice Of Kerala?
(a) S. Manikumar
(b) Mohan Shantanagoudar
(c) Navniti Prasad Singh
(d) Jasti Chelameswar
14. What is Capital of Kerala state?
(d) None of These
15. Which of the following Passes lies in Kerala?
(d) None of These
16. Iron ore deposits in Kerala are located in
(d) Both a and c
17. Which festival of Kerala marks the new year?
18. In which state, Green Partners conservation programme aimed at turtle conservation is being organized?
(d) Tamil Nadu
19. Which of the following is the major port in Kerala?
20. Which one is the smallest district by area wise in Kerala
21. __________is the longest river in Kerala.
(c) Pamba River
22. Kerala became the first state of India to have STD and ISD facilities in all its villages in ________.
23. Which one is the highest populated city in Kerala.
24. Which is the First Book published Malayalam?
(a) Samkshepa Vedartham
(b) Kannassa Ramayanam
25. In which district of Kerala Vembanad lake is situated?
26. Kumaran Asan is associated with the social renaissance in ____________ state.
(b) Tamil Nadu
(c) Andhra Pradesh
(d) None of the above
27. Kerala formation day is _______
(a) December 9th
(b) October 1st
(c) November 1st
(d) September 2nd
28. Which is the official language of Kerala?
29. Which state is to the north of Kerala?
30. _________among the following played a dominant role in Vaikom Satyagraha of 1924–25?
(a) T.K Madhavan
(b) Muloor S. Padmanabha Panicker
(c) Balarama Varma
(d) K. Kelappan
Our R&D team provides the best material and books for the complete preparation of all government exams. We provide PDFs of the previous year’s question papers with solutions and detailed analysis. All you need to do is download the Entri app and start practicing.