The last recruitment of the KWA towards the Assistant Engineer was in 2012, and till October 2020 PSC has given the advice memo based on this rank list. So we can expect the next notification in the upcoming days. If you are an engineering graduate in Civil/ Mechanical / Chemical engineering from any UGC recognized university and are under 40 years, then you are eligible to apply. Let’s discuss the Kerala Water Authority Assistant Engineer Syllabus in detail.
Kerala Water Authority Assistant Engineer Syllabus
The detailed syllabus for the Kerala Water Authority Assistant Engineer for all three streams are:
KWA Assistant Engineer: Civil Engineering
- Sources of water supply, Quantification of water demand through population forecasting fluctuations in
demand, Types of pumps and location of the pumping station, Quality of water-Drinking water standards.
Physical, chemical and biological analysis, Treatment of water, Theory and principles of Sedimentation
tanks, Stoke’s law. Types of settling, Coagulation-Mixing, Flocculation, Clariflocculator, Filtration, Types
of filters, Rapid sand, Slow sand, and Pressure filters, Methods of Disinfection, Taste and Odour removal.
Fluoridation, Defluoridation, Layout of water distribution network, Methods of distribution-Hardy cross
the method, Equivalent pipe method.
- Wastewater Characteristics, Systems of sewerage, Design of circular sewer, Wastewater disposal
systems, Dilution techniques, land treatment, Self-purification of streams, Treatment of sewage, Theory
and principles of Screen and Grit chamber, Detritus chamber, Skimming tank, Primary treatmentSedimentation tank, Trickling filter, Activated sludge process, Septic tank, Oxidation pond. Sludge
treatment and disposal methods.
- Stresses and strains, Shear force and bending moment, Moment of inertia, Analysis of frames. Theory of simple bending, Torsion, Columns and struts, Direct and bending stresses. Thin cylinders and thick cylinders Strain energy, Deflection of beams, Three hinged and two hinged arches, Analysis of frames.
- Fluid pressure and its measurement. Hydrostatic forces on surfaces, Bernoulli’s and Euler’s theory, Flow-through pipes, Flow-through orifice and mouthpieces, Flow over notches and weirs, Open channel flow, Buoyancy, Metacentre, Lock gate. Spillways, River engineering, Design of lined and unlined canals, Canal headworks, Cross drainage works.
- Chain survey, Theodolite survey. Compass survey, Plane table survey, Levelling, Contours, Simpson’s rule, Trapezoidal rule, Mass curve.
- Bricks, Timber, Cement. Concrete, Tests for quality assurance. Estimation, Specification, Valuation. Various components of a building. Bearing capacity of the soil. Types of foundation, Earth retaining structures.
- Concrete technology, Mix design, Design of RCC structures- working stress and limit state design concepts. Design of retaining walls, bridges and water tanks, prestressed concrete.
- Steel structures. Plastic analysis, Working stress and limit state design concepts, Design of connections, water tanks, bridges and trusses.
- Properties of fluids, principles of fluid statics and dynamics, pressure and flow measurement, material,
momentum and energy balance in fluid flow through pipes/conduits and other different geometries,
Equation of continuity, equation of motion – Navier-Stokes equation, Euler equation, Bernoulli’s equation
and its application for the design of fluid moving machinery. Newtonian and Non-Newtonian flow.
- Concepts of different modes of heat transport, fundamental laws governing the processes and their
analysis and applications of heat transfer processes in solids, liquids and gases. Heat transfer equipment
- Mass Diffusion. Fundamental laws, mass transfer coefficients, theories of diffusion, interphase diffusional
transport, drying, adsorption, adsorbents and adsorption processes. Novel Separation processes: Gas
permeation processes, reverse osmosis, ultrafiltration processes and microfiltration processes, thermal
diffusion, sweep diffusion, foam separation and ion-exchange processes.
- Mass transfer equipment. Concepts of solution thermodynamics.
- Particle size analysis, Solid handling- Particle size distribution, particle shape and size. Concepts involved
in size reduction, associated equipment, solid-solid separation: Concepts of different types of settling,
sedimentation, precipitation and associated solid-liquid and gas-solid separation equipment, packed beds
and fluidized beds. Mixing and agitation-concepts and associated equipment.
- Concepts of reactions and their types, limiting and excess reactants, mole balances, conversions and
concepts of thermochemistry. Reaction Kinetics: Kinetic rate laws, ideal reactors and isothermal design, multiple reactions, yield and selectivity. Analysis of reactor performance data: Batch reactor data,
differential and integral methods, initial rate and half-life methods.
- Microbial ecology, types of microorganisms, the kinetics of microbial and enzyme reactions. Concept of
bioreactors, and their different variants. Heterogeneous reactions and reactors.
Kerala Water Authority Syllabus: Mechanical Engineering
- Thermodynamics: Concepts of thermodynamics, Laws of thermodynamics, Carnot cycle, Air standard
cycles, P-V and T-S diagrams.
- Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines: Impact of jets, Hydraulic Turbines: Impulse and Reaction
and related accessories, Positive displacement pumps, rotodynamic pumps-, selection of pumps – pumping
devices – hydraulic ram jet pumps, gear pumps, vane pump and lobe pump. Dimensional analysis
Heat Transfer: Modes of heat transfer, equation of heat conduction. Heat conduction through plates,
cylinder and sphere, calculation of thermal resistances, Newton’ law of cooling, Convective heat transfer
coefficient, overall heat transfer coefficient
- Elements of power cycles: Calorific value, combustion of liquid, solid and gaseous fuels, Boilers,
properties of steam, Rankine cycle, Brayton cycle, methods for improving the efficiency of these cycles.
Refrigeration and air conditioning: Vapour compression refrigeration system. Types of refrigerants,
Psychrometry, Psychrometric properties, Psychrometric processes, air washers, human comfort air
conditioning, industrial air conditioning.
- Power transmission devices: Belt, rope, chain and gear drives. Classification of gears, gear trains,
coupling, clutches and brakes.
- Governors: Types of governors – Watt Porter, Proell and Hartnell governor.
- Gyroscopes: Principle, -analysis of gyroscopic action on vehicles-two wheelers, four-wheelers, aeroplanes
- Balancing: Static and Dynamic balancing – Balancing of revolving masses in different planes – Balancing of reciprocating mass
- Engineering Materials: Mechanical properties of engineering materials, Tens le test, Hardness test, Impact test, Ferrous and non-ferrous metals, plastics abrasive materials, ceramics, silicon and glasses.
- Manufacturing process: Casting, forging, rolling, welding, soldering and brazing. Machining processes,
turning, taper turning, thread cutting, shaping, drilling, grinding, milling. Principle, application and
advantages of CNC machines. Electrochemical and discharge machining.
- Vibration: Types of vibrations – Basic elements of a vibrating system – Undamped force vibrations,
different methods of analysis,- Free vibrations with viscous damping,- logarithmic decrement, -forced
vibrations,- vibration isolation and transmissibility- Force due to unbalance – Force due to support motion –
Vibration measuring instruments – vibrometers – accelerometers.
- Design: Pressure vessels, Thin cylinders, Thick cylinders.
Entri wishes you all the best for all your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.