The common names and formulas of chemical compounds is a very relevant area of study for every competitive exam including SSC and it is important for the aspirants to develop a fair idea on this subject. In this article, we are discussing the following topics.
• What a chemical compound is
• What are ‘common names’ of a chemical compound
• What is meant by the formula of a chemical compound
• List of important chemical compounds, their common names and formulas
List of Chemical Compounds, Their Common Names and Formulas
A chemical compound is a chemical substance composed of many identical molecules composed of atoms from more than one element held together by chemical bonds. There will be a fixed ratio for a chemical compound determining the composition of it. For example, water (H2O) is a compound consisting of two hydrogen atoms bonded to an oxygen atom. The ratio of each element is usually expressed by a chemical formula. In the simplest way, you can define a chemical compound as “a substance that is made up of two or more elements”. Water, carbon dioxide and table salt are three examples for chemical compounds.
Common Names of Chemical Compounds
For every chemical compound, there will be a chemical name or scientific name and a common name or popular name. Scientists or chemists identify a particular chemical compound from its scientific name. But in general, they are known by their common name and many of them are a part of our day to day life. For instance, the chemical name of NaCl is Sodium chloride and its common name is salt.
A chemical formula is a way of presenting information about the chemical proportions of atoms that constitute a particular chemical compound or molecule, using chemical element symbols, numbers and sometimes also other symbols such as parentheses, dashes, brackets, commas and plus and minus signs. In other words, a chemical formula represents the ratio of atoms per element that make up the chemical compound. This is done through the use of subscripts. The subscript that lies to the right of the symbol for each element indicates the number of atoms of that element that make up that chemical compound.
A chemical formula reflects a lot of information about the chemical substance it represents such as how many and what atoms they are made of as well as the way the atoms are arranged.
Now let us have a look at the common names and formulas of some important chemical compounds.
Common names and Formulas of Important Chemical Compounds
1) Sodium bicarbonate : Baking powder: NaHCO3
2) Copper Sulphate : Blue Vitriol : CuSO4 XH20
3) Calcium Oxychloride : Bleaching powder : CaOCL2
4) Trichloro Methane : Chloroform : CaOCL2
5) Calcium Carbonate : Chalk (Marble) : CaCo3
6) Potassium Hydroxide : Caustic Soda : NaOH
7) Solid Carbondiaoxide : Dry Ice : CO2
8) Magnesium Sulphate : Epsom : MgSO4
9) Caustic Potash : Potassium Hydroxide : KOH
10) Calcium Sulphate : Gypsum : CaSo4 2H2O
11) Ferrous Sulphate : Green Vitriol : FeSo4
12) Deuterium Oxide : Heavy Water : D2O
13) Acetic Acid : Vinegar : Ch3COOH
14) Sodium Carbonate : Washing Soda : Na2Co3
15) Calcium Hydroxide : Slaked Lime : Ca(OH)2
16) Potassium Aluminum Sulphate : Potash Alum
17) Calcium Oxide : Quick Lime : CaO
18) Calcium Sulphate : Plaster of Paris : CaSO4.1/2 h2O
19) Ammonium Ferrous Sulphate : Mohr’s Salt : (NH4)2 Fe(SO4)2.6H20
20) Zinc Sulphate : White Vitriol : ZnSo4.7H20
21) Methane : Marsh Gas : CH4
22) Magnesium Oxide : Magnesia : MgO
23) Nitrous Oxide : Laughing Gas : N2O
24) Mercuric Sulphide : Vermelium : HgS
25) Sucrose : Sugar : C12H22O11
26) Trinitrotoluene : T.N.T. : C7H5N3O6
27) Silicon Oxide : Sand : SiO2
Questions from this topic are frequently asked in most of the competitive exams including SSC CGL. And some of them are given below.
Frequently Asked Questions
• What is the chemical formula of Baking soda?
• What is the chemical name formula of Heavy water?
• Acetic acid is another name of which of the following?
• What is the chemical formula of washing soda?
• What is the chemical formula of common salt?
• What is Carborundum?
• What is the chemical formula of Plaster of Paris?
• What is the chemical name of magnetite?
• What is the chemical formula of Laughing gas?
Hope the article helped you to have a fair idea on chemical compounds, their common names and formulas. Feel free to ask your doubts through the comment box below (if any). Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out. Wish you all the best!