The Reserve Bank of India will soon conduct the recruitment process for eligible candidates for the post of “Assistant” in various branches of the Bank across India. Selection for the post will be through a country-wide competitive Preliminary and Main Examination followed by a Language Proficiency Test (LPT). Applications will be accepted online through the Bank’s website https://opportunities.rbi.org.in and no other mode for submission of application is available. The full text of the advertisement will be available notifying the exam date, tentative vacancy, apply online dates, eligibility criteria, and result announcement date on the Banks’ website www.rbi.org.in and would also be published in the Employment News.
It is expected that RBI will release 600+ vacancies this year for the post of RBI Assistant. The official notification is yet to be released. Last year RBI released a total of 623 vacancies.
Nationality: Candidates must be Indian citizens.
Age: Candidates age must be between 20 to 28 at the time of exam. There is some relaxation in upper age limit for the reserved categories shown below.
- A candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with an aggregate of 50% marks
- A candidate should have a knowledge of word processing on Personal Computer (PC)
- A candidate belonging to the Ex-Servicemen Category (except dependents of Ex-Servicemen) should either be a graduate from a reputed University or should have passed matriculation or its equivalent Armed Forces examination and should have rendered at least 15 years of defence service.
- A candidate should be proficient in the language ( how to read, write, speak and understand the language) of the state he/she is applying from.
Candidates have to pass three stages to qualify the exam.
- LPT(Language Proficiency Test)
(Note: There is no Interview for RBI Assistant 2018)
Prelims is just qualifying in nature and for final selection the marks of Mains is considered.
RBI Assistant Prelims Exam Pattern:
RBI Assistant Exam Pattern For Mains Phase:
- Reading Comprehension – 7 to 10 questions
- Error Spotting/Phrase replacement – 5 to 10 questions
- Cloze test – 5 to 7 questions
- Para Jumbles – Around 5 questions
- Vocabulary – Around 5 questions
- Simplification – 5 to 10 questions
- Data Interpretation – 5 to 10 questions
- Quadratic Equations – 0 to 5 questions
- Number Series – 3 to 5 questions
- Average, Interest, Mensuration, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Algebra, Profit and Loss, Time, Speed and Distance – Each topic will cover around 0 to 3 questions
- Coding Decoding – 4 to 8
- Seating Arrangement – 5 to 8
- Arrangement and Pattern – 4 to 6
- Coded Inequalities – 5
- Syllogism – 3 to 5
- Data Sufficiency – 3 to 5
- Blood Relations – Around 3
- Order and Ranking – 0 to 5
There will be miscellaneous topics which will have around 2 to 3 questions each.
- Coded Inequalities/Mathematical Inequalities
- Coding and Decoding
- Seating Arrangement
- Blood Relations
- Directions and Distances
- Ordering and Ranking
- Arrangement and Pattern
- Double Lineup
- Statement – Conclusions/Arguments
- Reading comprehension
- Cloze test
- Phrase substitution
- Paragraph complete/Sentence correction
- Para jumbles
- Commonly misspelled words
- Double blanks in a sentence
- Synonyms and antonyms
- Time and Work
- Time and Distance problems
- Profit and Loss
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Time and Speed
- Missing numbers, Fractions, and Ratios
- HCF and LCM
- Problem on Ages
- Data Interpretation
- Banking & Financial Awareness – Banking terms, Current rates (Bank rate, repo rate, reverse repo rate), RBI, Fiscal-Monetory Policies, Social Functions of Bank
- Economic News – Indian and International Economy, Finance, shares, various schemes of Government
- Monetary policies, Important guidelines, Financial & Economics News, Economics terms, etc
- National and International News, Sports News, Awards, Summits and Conferences, Schemes, Agreement and Deals, etc
- Parks, Dam, Thermal Power Plants, Mountains, Temples, Stadiums, Airports, etc
- Generations of computer
- Basic computer fundamentals
- Software and Hardware and their functionalities
- Modern day technology
- Computer Abbreviations
- Internet, LAN, WAN
- Security Tools, Virus, Hacker
- MS Word, MS Excel, etc.
Language Proficiency Test:
In line with the instructions issued by Government of India which states that Interview at junior level post is to be discontinued, RBI has dispensed the Final Interview process and decided to have Language Proficiency Test for the selected candidates. Since the candidates selected are likely to be placed in the public interface counters, knowledge/proficiency in local language is considered mandatory. Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Understanding skills of the candidate on the local language will be tested.
Appointed candidates will receive approx Rs.32,000 per month (In hand Salary Of RBI Assistant) including all the perks and allowances.
The annual breakdown of the RBI Assistant Salary is about Rs. 3,80,000/- per annum. Some other allowances/ perks as given in the below tuned table:
RBI assistant Salary Package: In Brief
- Basic pay: Rs. 15,060/- per month
- Pay scale: Rs. 13150-750 (3)-15400- 900(4) -19000-1200(6)-26200-1300 (2)-28800- 1480(3) – 33240 – 1750 (1)- 34990 (20 years).
- Allowances: It includes Dearness Allowance, House Rent Allowance, City Compensatory Allowance, Transport Allowance etc., as admissible from time to time.
- Gross emoluments: Approximately Rs. 32,429/- per month.
- Accommodation: Subject to availability.
- Reimbursements: For expenses for maintenance of vehicle for official purpose, newspaper, briefcase, book Grant, allowance for the furnishing of residence, etc. as per eligibility.
- Dispensary facilities: Apart from reimbursement of medical expenses for OPD treatment/hospitalization as per eligibility) RBI assistants also gets certain dispensary facilities.
- Loans and Advances: Granted at concessional rates of interest for Housing, Car, Education, Consumer Articles, and Personal Computer.
- Governance: By the Defined Contribution New Pension Scheme, in addition to the benefits of Gratuity.
- Total Annual Pay: Including allowances along with admissible perquisites attached to the post of RBI Assistant (excluding the value of housing) works out at the minimum to Rs. 3, 80,000/- p.a. (approximately).
B. PAYMENT OF FEES
Candidates can apply online only and no other mode of application will be accepted.
Before applying online, candidates should-
- Scan their photograph and signature ensuring that both the photograph and signature adhere to the required specifications as given under Guideline for photograph & signature scan and upload.
- Have a valid personal email ID and mobile no., which should be kept active till the completion of this Recruitment Process. Bank may send call letters for the Examination etc. through the registered e-mail ID. Under no circumstances, a candidate should share with /mention e mail id to any other person. In case a candidate does not have a valid personal e-mail ID, he/she should create his/her new e-mail ID and mobile no. before applying on-line and must maintain that email account and mobile number.
(iii) Application Fees/ Intimation Charges (Non- Refundable)
₹ 50/- for SC/ST/PWD/EXS. (Intimation Charges)
₹ 450 /- for OBC/General candidates (Examination fee+ Intimation Charges)
Staff candidates are exempted from payment of examination fee and intimation charges.
Bank Transaction charges for Online Payment of application fees/intimation charges will have to be borne by the candidate.
- APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- Candidates may go to the RBI website www.rbi.org.inand click on the option “Recruitment for the post of Assistant” which will open a new screen.
- To register application, choose the tab “Click here for New Registration” and enter Name, Contact details and Email-id. A Provisional Registration Number and Password will be generated by the system and displayed on the screen. Candidate should note down the Provisional Registration Number and Password. An Email & SMS indicating the Provisional Registration number and Password will also be sent.
- In case the candidate is unable to complete the application form in one go, he / she can save the data already entered by choosing “SAVE AND NEXT” tab. Prior to submission of the online application candidates are advised to use the “SAVE AND NEXT” facility to verify the details in the online application form and modify the same if required. Visually Impaired candidates should fill the application form carefully and verify/ get the details verified to ensure that the same are correct prior to final submission.
- Candidates are advised to carefully fill and verify the details filled in the online application themselves as no change will be possible/ entertained after clicking the FINAL SUBMIT BUTTON.
- The Name of the candidate or his /her Father/ Husband etc. should be spelt correctly in the application as it appears in the Certificates/ Mark sheets/Identity proof. Any change/alteration found may disqualify the candidature.
- Validate your details and Save your application by clicking the ‘Validate your details’ and ‘Save & Next’ button.
- Candidates can proceed to upload Photo & Signature as per the specifications given in the Guidelines for Scanning and Upload of Photograph and Signature.
- Candidates can proceed to fill other details of the Application Form.
- Click on the Preview Tab to preview and verify the entire application form before FINAL SUBMIT.
- Modify details, if required, and click on ‘FINAL SUBMIT’ ONLY after verifying and ensuring that the photograph, signature uploaded and other details filled by you are correct.
- Click on ‘Payment’ Tab and proceed for payment.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
- PAYMENT OF FEES (ONLINE MODE)
- The application form is integrated with the payment gateway and the payment process can be completed by following the instructions.
- The payment can be made by using Debit Cards (RuPay/Visa/MasterCard/Maestro), Credit Cards, Internet Banking, IMPS, Cash Cards/ Mobile Wallets.
- After submitting your payment information in the online application form, PLEASE WAIT FOR THE INTIMATION FROM THE SERVER. DO NOT PRESS BACK OR REFRESH BUTTON IN ORDER TO AVOID DOUBLE CHARGE.
- On successful completion of the transaction, an e-Receipt will be generated.
- Non-generation of ‘E-Receipt’ indicates PAYMENT FAILURE. On failure of payment, Candidates are advised to login again using their Provisional Registration Number and Password and repeat the process of payment.
- Candidates are required to take a printout of the e-Receipt and online Application Form containing fee details. Please note that if the same cannot be generated, online transaction may not have been successful.
- For Credit Card users: All charges are listed in Indian Rupee. If you use a non-Indian credit card, your bank will convert to your local currency based on prevailing exchange rates.
- To ensure the security of your data, please close the browser window once your transaction is completed.
- There is facility to print application form containing fee details after payment of fees.
Candidates are advised to carefully fill in the online application themselves. No change is permitted after clicking on FINAL SUBMIT Button. Candidates must note that the name filled in the online application should match exactly with the name as appearing on photo identity proof to be produced at the time of examination for verification. Female candidates who have changed first/ last/middle name post marriage must take special note of this. Visually Impaired candidates are responsible for carefully verifying/ getting the details filled in, in the online application form properly verified and ensuring that the same are correct prior to FINAL SUBMIT as no change is possible after FINAL SUBMIT.
Please note that all the particulars mentioned in the online application including Name of the Candidate, Category, Date of Birth, Address, Mobile Number, Email ID, Centre of Examination etc. will be considered as final and no modifications will be allowed after submission of the online application form. Candidates are hence requested to fill in the online application form with the utmost care as no correspondence regarding change of details will be entertained. RBI will not be responsible for any consequences arising out of furnishing of incorrect and incomplete details in the application or omission to provide the required details in the application form.
An online application which is incomplete in any respect such as without photograph and signature uploaded in the online application form will not be considered as valid.
Candidates are advised in their own interest to apply on-line much before the closing date and not to wait till the last date for depositing the fee to avoid the possibility of disconnection/inability/failure to log on the RBI’s website on account of heavy load on internet/website jam.
RBI does not assume any responsibility for the candidates not being able to submit their applications within the last date on account of the aforesaid reasons or for any other reason beyond the control of RBI.
Please note that the above procedure is the only valid procedure for applying. No other mode of application or incomplete steps would be accepted and such applications would be rejected.
Any information submitted by an applicant in his/ her application shall be binding on the candidate personally and he/she shall be liable for prosecution/ civil consequences in case the information/ details furnished by him/ her are found to be false at a later stage.
The admit card will be issued three weeks before the RBI Assistant Examination is conducted. The candidates will have to download the admit card from the official website of RBI which is ‘www.rbi.org.in’ by inputting the desired information as their registration number and their date of birth. Admit card authorizes a candidate to take part in the examination and no candidates will be allowed to enter in the examination hall without Admit Card.
RBI releases cut off marks before the announcement of result declaration. Cut offs helps you to give a basic idea to identify a minimum number of questions that you should attempt in the exam.
RBI Assistant Mains Cut off:
Reserve Bank of India releases the result of RBI assistant exam within 1-2 week after the examination is over. Candidates are required to follow below given simple steps in order to check their result.
- The RBI Assistant Result will be available on the official website only.
Result will be available in PDF form according to center.
- On the homepage, there will be a link for the result.
- Click on the link and a PDF will get open.
- Candidate can check the result by their enrollment number.
- Candidate can press Ctrl+f and find their roll number fast.
- Keep RBI Assistant Result 2019 for future reference.
Books for Reference
- Objective General English by Dr. R.S.Aggarwal & Vikas Aggarwal from S Chand Publications
- Objective English for Competitive Exams By Hari Mohan Prasad & Uma Rani Sinha from McGraw Hill Publications
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Rajesh Verma
- Advanced Maths for General Competitions by Rakesh Yadav
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R.S.Aggarwal from S Chand Publications
- Reasoning Aptitude
- A Modern Approach to Verbal Reasoning by R.S.Aggarwal
- A New Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by B.S.Sijwali
- General Awareness
- Indian Year Book English/Hindi by Publication Division
- Manorama Yearbook by Mathew & Mammen Manorama
It is also important refer articles on Current Affairs & Static General Knowledge to self-update about the daily happenings around the world.
- Computer Awareness
- Objective Computer Awareness by R. Pillai
- Computer Knowledge by Shikha Agarwal
Each candidate has to keep in mind that the preliminary and LPT are qualifying in nature and the merit is decided by the main examination score. The paper usually has an easy-medium level difficulty and hence cut-off can be expected up to 70-80 for different regions. Hence the goal should be to attempt 90+ questions. The Preliminary Level is similar to the Prelims of other bank exams except for the Numerical Ability section instead of Quantitative Ability. So it is evident that the speed of your mathematical calculations will play the key role in passing the exam. Inorder to improve calculation speed,
- Learn mathematical tables up to 40
- Learn squares up to 50
- Learn cubes up to 30
- Try to do maximum calculations in mind
- Check the time taken to solve each problem and try to reduce it with practice
For Reasoning Section focus more on solving one variable puzzles as highly complicated questions are usually not seen.
As far as English section is concerned developing a knowledge of basic English grammar and a habit of reading English newspapers specially focusing on editorials will help to pass the section by improving the vocabulary as well as sentence construction ability.
For Preliminary Level a composite time of 1 hour is available for solving a total of 100 questions from all the sections. For Main exam sectional time is allotted after which the next section is unlocked automatically and the previous section cannot be re-accessed. Hence time management is essential.
For General Awareness keep note of current affairs, important events, dates, personalities, awards, books etc that has been in the news in the recent times and be aware of currencies, capitals and leaders etc from across the world. Make it a point to read newspapers daily.
To pass the Computer Awareness section maintain a basic knowledge of Computers, its operation, Windows OS and in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office. Refer related questions from other bank exams as many questions are found to be repeated.
The Entri app provides a platform for the candidates to prepare for RBI Assistant Examination. Refer all previous year question papers of RBI Assistant to derive a general idea about the pattern of questions. 1 or 2 questions are usually found to be repetitions. Attend mock exams to improve the time management tactics.
To qualify language proficiency test the candidate should know how to read, write, speak and understand the basic language of the place from which they have applied for the examination.
Focus on Numerical Ability Section first. This section mainly contains questions from Simplification, Arithmetic and Data Interpretation. However in the past few exams RBI has not asked questions from Data Interpretation while nearly 80% questions have been from simplification.
- Memorize formulas from Interest (SI and CI), Profit and Loss, Distance, Time, Speed, Percentage, Time and Work to do simplification problems.
- Learn shortcuts to solve arithmetic problems with speed and accuracy.
- Candidates should be thorough with squares, square roots, cubes, cube roots and fractional value of percentages to solve data interpretation questions.
This should guarantee around 30 marks from the section.
Reasoning Section is the main weapon for getting a high score. The questions asked is less time consuming and you can use the saved time for solving problems in the other sections for the preliminary stage.
- Maximum questions (around 15) are asked from the topics such as Puzzles, Sitting Arrangement.
- Around 5 sure questions are asked from inequality every year. .
- Syllogism is another scoring topic which may come in a set of 5 questions in the exam. A new pattern of Reverse Syllogism has also been introduced in this section in which conclusions are given in questions and Statements are given in Answers. Learning this can guarantee the 5 marks from syllogism topics.
If these topics are covered a sure mark of 25 can be achieved from this section.
The major scoring questions from the English Section are the Reading Comprehension Passage, Fill up and Error correction questions.
- The first and last paragraph of Reading Comprehension passage provide critical context for the entire text. Understanding them is of utmost importance. Mainly this topic will include passage from banking & economy, finance, business, demonetization, financial policies and more. The level of questions is moderate to tough and therefore needs practice. Last year, the passage was story-based. If that is the case this year as well, it would be slightly easier for candidates.
- Fill up the blanks questions are mainly using prepositions or story type. You have to look carefully at the prepositions given in the option before/after the blank before answering the question as all the options have a meaning close to each other. A story based fill up will be quite easy to attempt, provided you have sufficient practice on this topic. You can expect maximum 10 questions from this topic
- Error Spotting and Phrase Replacement are usually asked on this topic. They also carry a maximum of 10 marks combined. Focus more on Articles, Tenses, Subject Verb Agreement, Degrees of Comparison and Common Errors.
Approximately 30 marks can surely be obtained from these topics.
For General Awareness prepare to attempt questions from International Summits/ Conferences, Governmental Schemes and Initiatives, Sports Tournaments, Books and Authors, International Organizations, Monetary and Fiscal Policies, Banking and Financial terms. This can guarantee 90% scoring from this section.
In the Computer Awareness Section candidates should be through with keyboard shortcuts, software packages and usage, abbreviations, basic of computers, networking fundamentals, history of computers, programming languages, computer hardware. Candidates can easily score in this section because syllabus is not so vast. Questions are asked only on general operations performed by a person on a computer.
Preparing the specified topics in depth with the help of previous question papers, subject oriented questions, exam oriented practice and mock tests available in the Entri App can guarantee a score of 80% and above for RBI Assistant examination.
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules. Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM, and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly. Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries. A suitable app to help you stand out in various examinations.
Entri wishes all the candidates the very best for the upcoming examination!