March 14 is celebrated as pi day in countries that follow the date format of month/day (m/dd), because the numerals in the date, March 14 or 3/14, are the first three digits of pi (3.14), Pi Day was founded by Physicist named Larry Shaw in the year 1988.
What is Pi?
The mathematical constant namely pi refers to the ratio of the perimeter or circumference of any circle to its diameter. The rough value of Pi, generally used in calculations is 3.14. Alternate value of Pi used by students is 22/7 .
The value of the Pi was first calculated by a mathematician called Archimedes of Syracuse. It was later acknowledged by the scientific community when Leonhard Euler used the symbol of Pi in 1737.
World Pi Day 2022: Facts
- Pi is an irrational decimal, when calculated, can go on
- In 1879 Albert Einstein was born on Pi Day.
- Stephen Hawking died on the pi day in 2018.
- In 1988 Pi day was recognized by Physicist Larry Shaw for the first time.
- For those who follow mm/dd format for date, March 14 constitutes the approximate value of Pi
- Isaac Newton the father of Calculus, found the value of Pi to at least 16 decimal places.
World Pi Day 2022: Quotes
- Love is not like pie; hand out your eight slices, and you are done. It is like a pi; irrational and never-ending.
- Programming graphics in X is similar to finding the square root of PI using Roman numerals.
- Pi is not merely the global factor in high school geometry problems; it is stitched across the whole tapestry of mathematics, not just geometry’s little corner of it.
- Exploring pi is like exploring the universe.
- My love for you is like the decimals of pi — endless.
How do I celebrate National Pi Day?
- You can try and make a new world record for reciting the most pi digits ever, a title currently held by an Indian who was being able to recite 17,000 of these.
- Some people celebrate it by eating pies, you may join them.
- You can contribute in mathematics-related studies or do something good for the subject.
World Pi day 2022 – Quiz
1. The Ratio of a circle’s ______________ is Pi.
a) diameter to its circumference
b) area to its diameter
c) circumference to its diameter
d) radius to the square of its area
2. What do you understand when you say “Pi is irrational”? This means that _________________.
a) it cannot be represented as a fraction of integers
b) it is divisible by 111 only
c) it consists of zeroes to the right of the decimal
d) nothing in particular.
3. Pi’s digits never repeat.
4. Which famous personality was born on Pi Day?
a) Isaac Newton
b) Albert Einstein
c) Johannes Kepler
d) Jay Leno
5. True or false: Twice the area of a circle is twice the pi itself.
6. Quick problem: Circle A is 1 mile wide. Circle B is 2 miles wide. Which of the following statements is true:
a) Circle B has twice the area of as that of A
b) Circle B’s area is 4 times greater than that of Circle A
c) Areas of both are same. A circle’s area is not related to width.
d) Circle B is 8 times larger than A
7. As of now, pi has been calculated out to how many digits?
a) 100 million
b) 1.3 billion
c) 349.3 billion
d) 10 trillion
8. The impression of pi has been known since time immemorial, but when was the first time that the Greek letter pi used to denote it?
a) 1st century AD
b) 13th century AD
c) 18th century AD
d) 20th century AD
9. Which book indicates pi’s value with the following passage: “And he made a molten sea, 10 cubits from the 1 brim to the other: it was round all about, and his peak was 5 cubits and a line of 30 cubits did compass it about?”
10. In 1897, the state of ____________ passed a law stating that pi equaled sixteen divided by the square root of three, or approximately 9.2376.
Entri App provides you with best practice questions for the complete preparation of various competitive exams. For the complete preparation, download the Entri App and start preparing.
Our R&D team provides the best material and books for the complete preparation of all government exams. We provide PDFs of the previous year’s question papers with solutions and detailed analysis. All you need to do is download the Entri app and start practicing.
Discussion about this post