Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level entrance test conducted jointly by the
Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Kharagpur, Madras, Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board. Universities across India, and some of the foreign Universities use the GATE score as the screening entrance marks for the admissions to the Masters, PhD as well as Integrated courses. Many Indian Public Service Undertakings like BHEL, PGVIL, Airport AUthority, Coal India, NLPCL, etc also relies on these scores to hire graduate-level officers. From joining India’s best Universities for Masters programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering, and Technology and to join the Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Arts and Science, qualifying in the GATE examination is necessary. To prepare for the test in the Computer Science Engineering stream, aspirants can now check the GATE 2022 syllabus and exam pattern given below.
GATE Syllabus & Exam Pattern: Computer Science Engineering
GATE 2022 will be organized by the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur across India for 29 subjects. The IIT Kharagpur has tentatively scheduled the GATE 2022 tests over Saturday 5th, Sunday 6th, Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th of February 2022 across the country. Interested candidates can now apply for the GATE 2022 Computer Science through the Gate IIT Kharagpur website, till October 01, 2021.
GATE 2022 Computer Science Engineering Exam Pattern
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Computer Science Engineering||Total Marks||Total Time (in minutes)|
- Number of Questions: 65
- The General Aptitude section has 5 questions of 1-mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and 5 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 10 marks).
- The engineering Mathematics section will have questions carrying a total of 13 marks. Some of these questions may be of numerical answer type.
- The Computer Science engineering paper will have an objective as well as numerical questions carrying a total of 72 marks.
- For a wrong answer chosen in an MCQ, there will be negative marks. For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark
will be deducted for a wrong answer, and for 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
GATE 2022 Computer Science Engineering Syllabus 2021
GATE Syllabus: Engineering Mathematics
- Discrete Mathematics: Propositional and first-order logic. Sets, relations, functions, partial orders and lattices. Monoids, Groups.
- Graphs: connectivity, matching, colouring.
- Combinatorics: counting, recurrence relations, generating functions.
- Linear Algebra: Matrices, determinants, the system of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, LU decomposition.
- Calculus: Limits, continuity and differentiability. Maxima and minima. Mean value theorem. Integration.
- Probability and Statistics: Random variables. Uniform, normal, exponential, Poisson and binomial distributions. Mean, median, mode and standard deviation. Conditional probability and Bayes theorem.
Computer Science and Information Technology
Digital Logic and Computer Organization and Architecture
- Boolean algebra, Combinational and sequential circuits, Minimization, Number representations and computer arithmetic (fixed and floating-point).
- Machine instructions and addressing modes. ALU, data‐path and control unit. Instruction
pipelining, pipeline hazards. Memory hierarchy: cache, main memory and secondary storage; I/O interface (interrupt and DMA mode).
Programming and Data Structures, and Algorithms
- Programming in C. Recursion. Arrays, stacks, queues, linked lists, trees, binary search trees, binary heaps, graphs.
- Searching, sorting, hashing.
- Asymptotic worst-case time and space complexity.
- Algorithm design techniques: greedy, dynamic programming and divide‐and‐conquer.
- Graph traversals, minimum spanning trees, shortest paths
Theory of Computation, and Compiler Design
- Regular expressions and finite automata. Context-free grammars and push-down automata.
- Regular and context-free languages, pumping lemma. Turing machines and undecidability.
- Lexical analysis, parsing, syntax-directed translation. Runtime environments.
- Intermediate code generation.
- Local optimisation, Data flow analyses: constant propagation, liveness analysis, common subexpression elimination.
- System calls, processes, threads, inter‐process communication, concurrency and synchronization.
- CPU and I/O scheduling. Memory management and virtual memory.
- File systems.
- Databases: ER‐model, Relational model: relational algebra, tuple calculus, SQL.
- Integrity constraints, normal forms.
- File organization, indexing (e.g., B and B+ trees). Transactions and concurrency control.
- Concept of layering: OSI and TCP/IP Protocol Stacks;
- Basics of the packet, circuit and virtual circuit-switching;
- Datalink layer: framing, error detection, Medium Access Control, Ethernet bridging;
- Routing protocols: shortest path, flooding, distance vector and link-state routing;
- Fragmentation and IP addressing, IPv4, CIDR notation, Basics of IP support protocols (ARP, DHCP, ICMP), Network Address Translation (NAT);
- Transport layer: flow control and congestion control, UDP, TCP, sockets;
- Application layer protocols: DNS, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, Email
Click here to download the GATE 2022 Computer Science Engineering syllabus PDF
GATE CSE Question Trend
Let’s check the number of questions asked from various topics in the last couple of years.
|SUBJECTS||GATE 2012||GATE 2013||GATE 2014||GATE 2015||GATE 2016||GATE 2017||GATE 2018||GATE 2019||GATE 2020|
|Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory||10%||9%||12.7%||11%||3.5%||7%||12%||5%||10%|
|Design and Analysis Algorithms||8%||8%||8%||7.5%||10.75%||5.5%||7%||7%||6%|
|Programming and Data Structure||19%||18%||13%||18%||10.75%||14.5%||10%||12%||12%|
|Theory of Computation||5%||8%||6%||6%||9.25%||9.5%||7%||8%||9%|
If you are planning to give the GATE 2022 then you must prepare yourself by taking mock tests, and relevant study materials. While preparing for the test, you can check the previous year question papers and other similar exam question papers for practice. Even though the questions won’t repeat themselves, you will get to understand the topics in a better way by going through the previous papers.
|GATE CSE Exam Information Links|
|GATE CSE Notification||GATE CSE Answer key|
|GATE CSE Mock Test||GATE CSE Video Course|
|GATE CSE Exam date||GATE CSE Study Materials|
|GATE CSE Application Form||GATE CSE Interview Questions|
|GATE CSE Vacancy||GATE CSE Job Profile|
|GATE CSE Admit Card||GATE CSE Salary|
|GATE CSE Study Plan||GATE CSE Preparation Tips and Tricks|
|GATE CSE Previous Question Papers||GATE CSE Result|
|GATE CSE Best Books||GATE CSE Cutoff|
|GATE CSE Eligibility Criteria||GATE CSE Exam Analysis|
|GATE CSE Selection Process|