Table of Contents
Kerala Public Service Commission will going to recruit the eligible candidates for the post of Chairside Assistant under the Category No.395/2019 to fill the 10 vacant posts. An official notification regarding this was released by the Commission earlier on 30/12/2019. The selection of the candidates for this post is through direct recruitment. Candidates who are between the age 18 and 36 are eligible to apply for the post. As per the notification the exam will be going to conduct on 2nd September 2022 (02/09/2022). For more details visit the official website of Kerala PSC www.keralapsc.gov.in.
Candidates who successfully submitted their confirmation on or before 12.07.2022 can download the Admission Tickets through their One Time Registration Profile in the website www.keralapsc.gov.in from 19/08/2022.
In this article we are providing the detailed information regarding the the Kerala PSC Chairside Assistant Syllabus and Exam Pattern 2022 and also provide a direct link to download the Kerala PSC Chairside Assistant Syllabus 2022 along with the exam pattern for the ease of candidates.
Kerala PSC Chairside Assistant Exam Syllabus 2022
The KPSC Chairside Assistant syllabus has been announced by the Kerala PSC Recruitment Board. The study materials are prepared based on the syllabus that are assigned by the recruitment board. Before going to start the preparation, the applicant must have enough study materials. The exam syllabus will help the candidates for organizing the exam preparation and provides comprehensive exam information while studying.
|Kerala PSC Chairside Assistant Syllabus 2022|
|Organization||Kerala Public service Commission|
|Exam Date||2nd September 2022|
|Admit Card Availability Date||19th August 2022|
MODULE 1 (MARKS 10)
GENERAL ANATOMY AND HISTOLOGY
1. General structure of mucous membrane, bones, muscles, blood vessels, lymphatics,
glands and nerves.
2. Blood and nerve supply in relation to face in general and teeth associated structures in
3. Elementary knowledge of development of the face and jaws.
4. Muscles of mastication and facial expression.
5. Temporo- Mandibular joint.
6. Course and distribution of V, VII, and IX cranial nerves
7. Circulatory, Respiratory and Nervous System
8. Skin and organs of special senses
ORAL ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY, DISEASES OF TEETH AND GUMS AND DENTAL
1. Bones of the skull, Maxilla and Mandible
2. Oral cavity- lips, tongue pharynx and teeth
3. Structure of teeth and surroundings
4. Dentition: temporary and permanent
5. Nerve and blood supply of teeth and other soft tissues of the oral cavity
6. Muscles of mastication and facial expression
7. Saliva and control of excessive secretion in Dental surgery
8. Dental anatomy and histology – structure, nomenclature and development of human
teeth, eruption and occlusion of teeth, periodontium- structure and function.
9. Morphology of teeth.
10. Alveolar process of jaw bones
1. General outlines of the physiological process of the human body.
2. General outline of CVS, CNS and endocrine glands, Special senses
3. Salivary glands, ducts and their functions
4. Composition, function of saliva.
5. Mastication, deglutition and phonation,
6. Blood – structure – function – clotting mechanism.
7. Respiratory system
PATHOLOGY AND MICROBIOLOGY (General and oral)
1. General principles of pathology – Inflammation, degeneration and repair
2. Application of general principles of pathology of teeth and surrounding tissues.
3. Dental anomalies,Attrition, abrasion, erosion.
4. Oral manifestations of systemic diseases,Vitamin deficiencies and infectious diseases.
5. Neoplasm in general.
6. Elementary knowledge of bacteriology, asepsis, infection, immunity.
7. Brief description of pathology and bacteriology of dental caries and gingival
MODULE 2 (MARKS 35)
BASIC NURSING (10 marks)
2. Nursing ethics
3. Health team
4. Inter Personal Relationship
5. Hospital types function
6. Admission of a patient
7. Preparing safe and comfortable environment for patient /preparation sick room
8. Bed and Bed Making
a. Principle of bed-making, factor to be considered in selecting and making bed,
b. different types of beds and their uses.
c. Comfort devices, position
9. Body mechanics
11. Provision for rest comfort and sleep
12. Assessment of patient / Client
13. Principles and importance of assessment
14. Methods of assessment:
15. Observation, palpation, auscultation, percussion
16. Developing skill in Observation.
17. Physical Assessment
18. Height, weight, posture, speech
19. Physiological Assessment
20. Temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure
21. Characteristics of normal and abnormal (T.P.R. and B.P.) and factors
influencing the variations.
22. Urine stool, vomit, sputum, normal and abnormal behaviour and its deviation.
23. Collection of specimens
THERAPEUTIC NURSING CARE AND ASEPTIC PROCEDURES (10 marks)
1. Hand washing, hand scrubbing, use of mask, gown, gloves
2. Disinfection techniques, sterilization techniques.
3. Autoclaving, boiling, flaming, ultra violet rays.
4. Care and Sterilization of:
a) Linen, bed, mattress, floor, walls, cupboard and other articles.
b) Rubber goods, dressings, instruments, needles, syringes enamel articles.
5. Barrier Nursing and isolation.
6. Importance of first aid and rules of first aid.
7. Concept of emergency.
8. First Aid in Emergency situations
9. Fire, burns, fractures, accidents, poisoning, drowning, haemorrhages,
10. insect bites, foreign bodies.
11. Transportation of the injured.
12. Bandaging and splinting.
13. Hot and cold application
14. Meeting therapeutic needs
a. Oxygen administration
b. Wound healing
NURSING MANAGEMENT OF PRE & POST OPERATIVE PATIENT& FOOD AND NUTRITION
1. Nurse’s functions in operation theatre.
2. Post- operative management – Immediate and Routine
3. Transferring patient from operation theatre.
4. Patient in recovery room.
Page 3 of 8
5. Recovery from anaesthesia.
6. Assessment of common health problem
7. Community organization
8. Admission procedure to MI Room and wards
9. Manipulation of stretcher cases
10. Basic food chemistry in relation to general and oral health
11. Carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals. Trace elements and water in relation
to dental and oral health.
12. General food requirement for growth, maintenance and repair of the body
13. Assessment and charting of individual diet and counselling.
14. Effect of malnutrition on oral health
15. Special diet in maxillofacial injury cases
COMPUTER AND OFFICE MANAGEMENT ( 5 MARKS )
1. Patient reception
3. Appointment control
4. Daily schedule
5. Basic filling systems
6. Preliminary and Other Dental Procedures and Dental Office Management – BookKeeping and Typing
7. Knowledge of the different Dental specialties
MODULE 3 (10 MARKS)
Definitions of various terminologies, Cleaning of instruments
Methods of sterilization and disinfection & Theatre fumigation
Infection control Personal protection, universal precautions
Aim, segregation, colour coding, disposal
MODULE 4 ( MARKS 10)
DISEASES OF TEETH AND GUMS
1. Dental caries
2. Pulp diseases, alveolar abscess and cellulites
3. Periodontal diseases, gingivitis/periodontitis
4. Attrition, Abrasion, Erosion and Fluorosis of teeth
5. Communicable disease
PHARMACOLOGY (MATERIA MEDICA)
General and Dental:
Brief description, nomenclature, derivation, dosage, pharmacological action and therapeutic
uses of drugs, commonly used in dentistry. Antiseptic mouth washes
DENTAL EQUIPMENT AND STORES
1. Recognition and knowledge of various Dental equipment and stores used in
2. Organization of Dental stores, Storage, accounting and issue of Dental stores.
3. Handling and maintenance of dental items
4. Poisonous drugs-storage and labelling: Short life items and their care, turnover
General knowledge of various materials used in dentistry and their manipulation. Impression
materials and model materials.
1. Dressing materials and various filling materials, temporary and permanent. Various
types of fixed and removable appliances used
2. Materials used in Maxillo facial and surgical prostheses
3. Impression materials/disinfection
4. Pouring of cast
5. Chair side clinical assistance
6. Aliginate mixing
7. Cement mixing
8. Filling materials
9. General knowledge of various materials use in dentistry and their manipulation.
10. Impression materials and model materials.
11. Lay out of instrument trolleys for denture work.
12. Dressing materials and various filling materials, temporary and permanent.
13. Various types of fixed and removable appliances used
14. Materials used in Maxillo facial and surgical prostheses
MODULE 5 (20 MARKS)
MINOR AND MAJOR SURGICAL ASSISTANCE WITH THE CONCEPT OF BTLS.
1. Fracture Mandible and Maxilla-Main characteristics
2. Maintenance of oral hygiene in fracture jaw cases and periodical attendance of
maxillofacial injury cases during post op. period in ward.
3. Nutrition, feeding and transportation of fracture jaw cases
4. AIDS, Hepatitis
5. Basic Trauma Life Support
6. Personal Hygiene and Reception of patients
7. Surgery upkeep and maintenance
8. Infection control in dental practice
9. Sterilization of instruments including its cleaning, trays dressings and various
other items used in dental surgery. Asepsis and antiseptic methods used.
10. Care of patients in Shock and Syncope in dental chair
11. Operation theatre technique and present concept in assistance.
12. Preparation of patients for general and local anaesthesia
13. Preparation of Pathological specimen from the mouth for dental museum/lab
14. Dental emergencies and their management
15. Home care after extraction, filling and denture insertion
16. Oral hygiene and brushing technique
17. First aid management and transportation of maxillofacial injury cases
18. Post operative instructions to patients
19. Lay out of instrument trolleys for
a.Surgical extraction of teeth
b. Alveoloplasty and Apicoectomies
e.Gingivectomies, Mucoperiosteal flaps
Kerala PSC Chairside Assistant Syllabus 2022 – PDF Download
Candidates who are applied for the KPSC Chairside Assistant recruitment should be well aware of the topic wise syllabus for the examination. Candidates can go through the following link to download the complete syllabus pdf.
1. Fundamental and elementary principles of dental radiology.
2. Technical aspects of dental radiographs i. e. the taking, processing and mounting
of dental radiographs.
3. Developing and fixing
Page 6 of 8
4. Radiations hazards and their protections.
5. Dental radiography Dental films their mounting and records keeping
6. Basic knowledge of Taking, processing and mounting of dental radiographs
Protection from radiation hazards
DENTAL DOCUMENTATION AND OFFICE PROCEDURES
1. Knowledge about layout and upkeep of waiting rooms
2. Registration of case and Scheduling of appointments
3. Dental Treatment record maintenance and abbreviations for recording
4. Dental statistics including collection of Dental health information, and its
5. Billing and accounting
6. Maintenance of office room and clinic
7. Material maintenance and supply
8. Instruction to patients and recall
9. Preparation of models of normal and pathological oral conditions
10. Designing, drawing and painting of poster on dental health education
11. Procedures for arranging talks, dramas, seminar with audio-visual aids on
dental and oral health
MODULE 7 ( 5 MARKS)
COMMUNITY DENTISTRY AND ORAL HEALTH EDUCATION
1. Introduction to community dentistry
2. Psychological aspects of the child and parents and their counselling
3. Aims and objects of dental health education
4. General epidemiology and environmental health
5. Water supply to community and their implications on dental health
6. Oral hygiene habits
7. Oral hygiene maintenance instructions
8. Habits and their effects on dental structures
9. Oral health in handicapped
10. Dental caries – prevalence and prevention
11. Periodontal diseases- prevalence and prevention
12. Social factors in dental progress, income and living standard of people
13. Tour and upkeep of the dental centre, operatory and various department
14. Operatory discipline and discipline of the patients
DENTAL JURISPRUDENCE AND ETHICS
1. Dental Ethics, Jurisprudence and Orientation in Dentistry (Theory and Practical)
2. History of Dentistry
3. Professional ethics
4. Legal implication in dental practice
5. Dentists Act 1948, as it relates to registration of dental hygienist and dentists.
Legal imposition in relation to dental practice, code of ethics.
6. Place and function of dental profession in the society and discussion of economic
Kerala PSC Chairside Assistant Exam Pattern
Aspirants who are preparing for the exam should be well aware of the exam pattern. The study materials are prepared based on the syllabus that are assigned by the recruitment board. Before starting the preparation, the candidate must have enough study materials and must have an idea about the exam pattern. The table below gives the detailed information that is helpful to candidates taking the exam as it has the details like the total number of questions, subjects, exam mode, time allotted, and the total number of marks. Prepare well for the exam and score well in the Chairside Assistant examination. The module-wise marking scheme is given in the below table.
The questions will be of objective type.
The maximum mark of exam is 100.
The question asked are based on the relevant topics provided in the syllabus.
The time duration for the exam is 1 Hour 20 Minutes.
The mode of exam is ONLINE.
The mode of question paper is in English language.
|GENERAL ANATOMY AND HISTOLOGY||10|
|STERILIZATION AND DISINFECTION||10|
|DISEASES OF TEETH AND GUMS||10|
|MINOR AND MAJOR SURGICAL ASSISTANCE WITH THE CONCEPT OF BTLS.||20|
|COMMUNITY DENTISTRY AND ORAL HEALTH EDUCATION||5|
All applicants must take their studies seriously and stick to a disciplined study plan as soon as the exam dates are announced if they want to perform well on the exam. As there are fewer openings, there will be a fierce rivalry. So choose useful study tools to aid in your preparation. Entri keeps you up to date.
I hope you learned something from here and found this article beneficial. Entri provides you an effective and customized study materials and provides well accurate study habits. The expert teachers in Entri will help you to identify your weak zones and help you to build your confidence. Stay updated with Entri. Best Wishes!