Table of Contents
Cloud Computing is a variable technology that can influence a wide area of applications. The low cost and its dynamic scaling renders cloud computing as an innovation driver for small companies, particularly in the developing world. In this article, we will discuss Cloud Computing fundamentals, types, and its applications, as it is one of the most important topics that an aspirant should prepare for the competitive exam.
Cloud Computing Fundamentals
Cloud Computing provides us a platform with which we can access the applications as utilities, over the Internet. It allows us to make, assemble, and customize applications online.
What is Cloud?
- The term cloud in this context is referred to Network or Internet.
- In other words, we can say that Cloud is a platform, which is present at remote location.
- Cloud can provide services over public networks or on private networks, like WAN, LAN, or VPN.
- Applications such as web conferencing, e-mail, customer relationship management (CRM), run in the cloud.
What is Cloud Computing?
- Cloud Computing applies to configuring, manipulating, and accessing the applications online.
- It provides online data storage, infrastructure, and application.3
- We don’t have to install any software on our local PC and this is how the cloud computing manages platform dependency issues.
Cloud Computing Service Models
They are the models on which the Cloud Computing is based. These can be classified into three basic service models as described below:
- IaaS or Infrastructure as a Service
- Paas or Platform as a Service
- Saas or Software as a Service
Infrastructure As A Service (IAAS)
- IaaS gives access to basic resources such as physical machines, virtual machines, virtual storage, etc.
Platform As A Service (PAAS)
- PaaS gives the runtime conditions for applications, development & deployment tools, etc.
Software As A Service (SAAS)
- SaaS model provides software applications as a service to end users.
Cloud Computing Applications
Some of the widely famous cloud computing applications are discussed below:
Cloud computing makes businesses more collaborative and easy by incorporating various apps such as Google Apps for business, MailChimp, Chatter, and Quickbooks.
- MailChimp: It offers an e-mail publishing platform. It is highly used by the businesses to design and send their e-mail campaigns.
- Chatter: Chatter app allows the employee to share important information about organization in real time. One can get the instant feed regarding any matter.
- Google Apps: for Business Google offers creating presentations,text documents, spreadsheets, etc., on Google Docs which allows the business users to share them in collaborating manner.
- Quickbooks: It gives online accounting solutions for a business. It helps in watching cash flow, creating VAT returns, and creating business reports.
Data Storage and Backup
The applications like Box.com, Mozy, Joukuu offer data storage and backup services in the cloud.
- Box.com: Box.com offers drag and drop service for files. It needed to drop the files into Box and access from elsewhere.
- Mozy: Mozy provides online backup during a data loss.
- Joukuu: Joukuu is a web-based interface. It allows to show a single list of contents for files stored in Google Docs, Box.net and Dropbox.
There are applications developed for management task such as time tracking, organizing notes. Applications that perform such tasks are given below:
- Toggl: It tracks the time period assigned to a particular project.
- Evernote: It is an application that arranges the sticky notes and even can read the text from images which helps the user to find the notes easily.
- Outright: It is an accounting app. It helps to track profits,losses, income, expenses, in real time.
There are plenty of social networking service providers such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Facebook:Facebook offers social networking service. One can share videos, files, photos, status and much more.
- Twitter: Twitter helps to communicate directly with the public. One can follow any organization, celebrity, or any person, who is on twitter and can have latest updates about them.
- Audiofm: It offers streaming service, i.e., music can be stored online and can be played from cloud using service’s own media player.
- Moo: It provides art services such as designing and printing postcards, business cards and mini cards.
Click on the link for complete notes on Cloud Computing: Cloud Computing Notes PDF Download