Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is the entrance test conducted jointly by the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (at Kharagpur, Madras, Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, and Roorkee), and Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore. Universities across India and some of the foreign Universities (Singapore, Germany) use the GATE scores as the screening for the admissions to their Masters, PhD, Design courses. Not just Universities, some of the PSU’s like HPCL, NFL, NLC, Power Grid, NPCIL etc also uses these scores to hire to the graduate-level positions. To prepare for the GATE Civil Engineering stream, aspirants can now check the GATE 2022 syllabus and exam pattern given below.
GATE 2022 Syllabus for Civil Engineering
GATE 2022 will be organized by the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur across India for 29 subjects. The IIT Kharagpur has tentatively scheduled the GATE 2022 tests over Saturday 5th, 12th, and Sunday 6th, 13th of February 2022 across India. Interested aspirants can now apply for the GATE 2022 Civil Engineering through the IIT Kharagpur GATE 2022 website, till October 01, 2021.
GATE 2022 Civil Engineering Exam Pattern
|Paper Code||General Aptitude (GA) Marks||Civil Engineering||Total Marks||Total Time (in minutes)|
- Number of Questions: 65
- The General Aptitude section has 5 questions of 1-mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and 5 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 10 marks).
- The engineering Mathematics section will have questions carrying a total of 13 marks. Some of these questions may be of numerical answer type.
- The Civil engineering paper will have an objective as well as numerical questions carrying a total of 72 marks.
- For a wrong answer chosen in an MCQ, there will be negative marks. For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark
will be deducted for a wrong answer, and for 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
GATE 2022 Civil Engineering Syllabus
Let’s check the GATE 2022 CE syllabus in detail:
GATE CE Syllabus: Engineering Mathematics
- Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra; Systems of linear equations; Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
- Calculus: Functions of a single variable; Limit, continuity and differentiability; Mean value theorems, local maxima and minima; Taylor series; Evaluation of definite and indefinite integrals, application of definite integral to obtain area and volume; Partial derivatives; Total derivative; Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities; Directional derivatives; Line, Surface and Volume integrals.
- Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE): First order (linear and non-linear) equations; higher-order linear equations with constant coefficients; Euler-Cauchy equations; initial and boundary value problems.
- Partial Differential Equation (PDE): Fourier series; separation of variables; solutions of one-dimensional diffusion equation; first and second-order one-dimensional wave equation and twodimensional Laplace equation.
- Probability and Statistics: Sampling theorems; Conditional probability; Descriptive statistics – Mean,
median, mode and standard deviation; Random Variables – Discrete and Continuous, Poisson and Normal Distribution; Linear regression.
- Numerical Methods: Error analysis. Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations;
Newton’s and Lagrange polynomials; numerical differentiation; Integration by trapezoidal and
Simpson’s rule; single and multi-step methods for first-order differential equations.
GATE 2022 CE Syllabus: Structural Engineering
- Engineering Mechanics: System of forces, free-body diagrams, equilibrium equations; Internal forces
in structures; Frictions and its applications; Centre of mass; Free Vibrations of undamped SDOF system.
- Solid Mechanics: Bending moment and shear force in statically determinate beams; Simple stress
and strain relationships; Simple bending theory, flexural and shear stresses, shear centre; Uniform torsion, Transformation of stress; buckling of column, combined and direct bending stresses.
- Structural Analysis: Statically determinate and indeterminate structures by force/ energy methods;
- Method of superposition; Analysis of trusses, arches, beams, cables and frames; Displacement methods:
- Slope deflection and moment distribution methods; Influence lines; Stiffness and flexibility methods of structural analysis.
- Construction Materials and Management: Construction Materials: Structural Steel – Composition, material properties and behaviour; Concrete – Constituents, mix design, short-term and long-term properties.
- Construction Management: Types of construction projects; Project planning and network analysis – PERT and CPM; Cost estimation.
- Concrete Structures: Working stress and Limit state design concepts; Design of beams, slabs, columns; Bond and development length; Prestressed concrete beams.
- Steel Structures: Working stress and Limit state design concepts; Design of tension and compression members, beams and beam-columns, column bases; Connections – simple and eccentric, beam-column connections, plate girders and trusses; Concept of plastic analysis -beams and frames.
- Soil Mechanics: Three-phase system and phase relationships, index properties; Unified and Indian standard soil classification system; Permeability – one-dimensional flow, Seepage through soils – two – dimensional flow, flow nets, uplift pressure, piping, capillarity, seepage force; Principle of effective stress and quicksand condition; Compaction of soils; One-dimensional consolidation, time rate of consolidation; Shear Strength, Mohr’s circle, effective and total shear strength parameters, Stress-Strain characteristics of clays and sand; Stress paths.
- Foundation Engineering: Sub-surface investigations – Drilling boreholes, sampling, plate load test,
standard penetration and cone penetration tests; Earth pressure theories – Rankine and Coulomb;
Stability of slopes – Finite and infinite slopes, Bishop’s method;
- Stress distribution in soils – Boussinesq’s theory; Pressure bulbs, Shallow foundations – Terzaghi’s and Meyerhoff’s bearing capacity theories, the effect of the water table; Combined footing and raft foundation; Contact pressure;
- Settlement analysis in sands and clays; Deep foundations – dynamic and static formulae, Axial load
capacity of piles in sands and clays, pile load test, pile under lateral loading, pile group efficiency,
negative skin friction.
GATE Civil Engineering: Water Resources Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics: Properties of fluids, fluid statics; Continuity, momentum and energy equations and
their applications; Potential flow, Laminar and turbulent flow; Flow in pipes, pipe networks; Concept
of boundary layer and its growth; Concept of lift and drag.
- Hydraulics: Forces on immersed bodies; Flow measurement in channels and pipes; Dimensional
analysis and hydraulic similitude; Channel Hydraulics – Energy- depth relationships, specific energy,
critical flow, hydraulic jump, uniform flow, gradually varied flow and water surface profiles.
- Hydrology: Hydrologic cycle, precipitation, evaporation, evapotranspiration, watershed, infiltration, unit hydrographs, hydrograph analysis, reservoir capacity, flood estimation and routing, surface runoff models, groundwater hydrology – steady state well hydraulics and aquifers; Application of Darcy’s Law.
- Irrigation: Types of irrigation systems and methods; Crop water requirements – Duty, delta, evapotranspiration; Gravity Dams and Spillways; Lined and unlined canals, Design of weirs on permeable
foundation; cross drainage structures.
- Water and Waste Water Quality and Treatment: Basics of water quality standards – Physical, chemical and biological parameters; Water quality index; Unit processes and operations; Water requirement; Water distribution system; Drinking water treatment.
- Sewerage system design, the quantity of domestic wastewater, primary and secondary treatment.
- Effluent discharge standards; Sludge disposal; Reuse of treated sewage for different applications.
- Air Pollution: Types of pollutants, their sources and impacts, air pollution control, air quality standards, Air quality Index and limits.
- Municipal Solid Wastes: Characteristics, generation, collection and transportation of solid wastes, engineered systems for solid waste management (reuse/ recycle, energy recovery, treatment and disposal).
GATE CE Syllabus: Transportation Engineering
- Transportation Infrastructure: Geometric design of highways – cross-sectional elements, sight
distances, horizontal and vertical alignments.
- The geometric design of railway Track – Speed and Cant.
- Concept of airport runway length, calculations and corrections; taxiway and exit taxiway design.
- Highway Pavements: Highway materials – desirable properties and tests; Desirable properties of
bituminous paving mixes; Design factors for flexible and rigid pavements; Design of flexible and rigid pavement using IRC codes
- Traffic Engineering: Traffic studies on flow and speed, peak hour factor, accident study, statistical
analysis of traffic data; Microscopic and macroscopic parameters of traffic flow, fundamental relationships; Traffic signs; Signal design by Webster’s method; Types of intersections; Highway capacity.
- Principles of surveying; Errors and their adjustment; Maps – scale, coordinate system; Distance and
angle measurement – Levelling and trigonometric levelling; Traversing and triangulation survey; Total
station; Horizontal and vertical curves.
- Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing – Scale, flying height; Basics of remote sensing and GIS.
Click here to download the GATE 2022 Civil Engineering syllabus pdf
If you are planning to give the GATE Civil Engineering in February 2022 then you must prepare yourself by taking mock tests, and relevant study materials. Most of the aspirants required at least 06 months to complete the whole syllabus. While preparing for the GATE CE, you should check the previous year question papers and other similar exam question papers for practice.
|GATE CE Exam Information Links|
|GATE CE Notification||GATE CE Answer key|
|GATE CE Mock Test||GATE CE Video Course|
|GATE CE Exam date||GATE CE Study Materials|
|GATE CE Application Form||GATE CE Interview Questions|
|GATE CE Vacancy||GATE CE Job Profile|
|GATE CE Admit Card||GATE CE Salary|
|GATE CE Study Plan||GATE CE Preparation Tips and Tricks|
|GATE CE Previous Question Papers||GATE CE Result|
|GATE CE Best Books||GATE CE Cutoff|
|GATE CE Eligibility Criteria||GATE CE Exam Analysis|
|GATE CE Selection Process|