Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is one of the most buzzworthy recruitment drives in Kerala. Through KAS eligible graduates will be able to start their career in the state government service at the Junior Time Scale positions and can further advance towards IAS within 08 years of service. The Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) Notification is out now. Candidates can now apply for KAS on or before December 04, 2019.
Kerala Administrative Service Important Dates
- Application Period: November 01, 2019 to December 04, 2019
- Preliminary Exam Date: 22nd February 2020
- Main Examination Date: To be updated soon
Interested candidates can apply for the KAS 2019 through their Kerala PSC Thulasi profile page.
Kerala Administrative Service (KAS Exam) Eligibility Criteria
The Kerala Administrative Service 2019 recruitment is for candidates from three-sections/ streams.
- Stream 1: Direct Appointment
- Stream 2: Direct recruitment from among full members or approved probationers in any Government Departments.
- Stream 3: Direct Recruitment from among candidates holding Ist Gazetted post.
- Stream 1: 21 years – 32 years. Candidates who have born between 02.01.1987 and 01.01.1998 (both dates
are included) shall apply for these posts. Age relaxations as per government norms are applicable.
- Stream 2: 21 years – 40 years. Candidates who have born between 02.01.1979 and 01.01.1998 (both dates
are included) are eligible to apply for this post. Age relaxations as per government norms are applicable.
- Stream 3: Must not have completed 50 years of age on January 01, 2019.
- Stream 1: Graduation in any subject (including professional course) from any UGC recognized university.
- Stream 2: Graduation in any subject (including professional course) from any UGC recognized university and, Must be a Full Member or an approved probationer in any Government Department and must not be an Ist Gazetted Officer or above in the Departments in Schedule-I of KAS Rule 2018.
- Stream 3: Graduation in any subject (including professional course) from any UGC recognized university, and Must have satisfactorily completed probation in any Cadre in Government.
List of services in Kerala Administrative Service(KAS)
According to the draft rules proposed b the Government, the Kerala Civil Service Executive Special Rules, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) officers will be posted across 29 departments in Kerala State Government services including Kerala Secretariat public administration & finance. Recommended departments are :
- Administrative Secretariat
- Finance Secretariat
- Civil Supplies
- Commercial Taxes
- Commissionerate of Entrance Examinations
- Co-operative department
- Industries and Commerce
- State Lotteries
- National Employment Service
- National Savings
- Kerala State Audit
- Land Revenue
- Sainik Welfare
- Social Justice
- State Insurance
- Kerala State land use board
- Rural development
- Scheduled Caste development
- Scheduled Tribe development
- Survey and land records
- General Education
- Urban Affairs
- Common Categories – Administrative Officer, Administrative Assistant, Accounts Officer, Financial Assistant.
KAS Category Number
- STREAM 1 – 186/2019
- STREAM 2 – 187/2019
- STREAM 3 – 188/2019
Kerala Administrative Service 2019 Syllabus
The syllabus for the KAS preliminary examination is very much similar to that of UPSC with more focus on Kerala. The mains syllabus is yet to release. We will update you once the official syllabus is out.
Kerala Administrative Service Paper 1
GENERAL STUDIES -I
- History of India and Kerala- Ancient and Medieval Period
- Modern Period -Modern Indian History (from the 18th century up to the present
- Kerala History from 18th century onwards
- History of the World (from mid 18th century
- Cultural Heritage of Kerala
- Indian Constitution, Public Administration, Political System, Governance, Social Justice and International Relations
- Constitutional Authorities – Powers, Functions andResponsibilities
- India’s Foreign Policy, International Organisations, International Treaties and Forums, their structure, and mandate
- Judiciary in India
- Reasoning, Mental Ability & Simple Arithmetic
- Geography- Physical, Social, Economic Geography of World, India, and Kerala
- Geophysical phenomena like Earthquake, Tsunami, Volcanoes, Cyclone, Flood, Landslides.
Kerala Administrative Service Paper 2
GENERAL STUDIES -II
- Economy and Planning- Indian economy on the eve of independence. Indian economy in
the post-reform period – new economic reforms,
- NITI Aayog, National Income, and Per Capita Income, Sectoral Composition (Output and
Employment) – Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary. Development under different policy regimes (including Five Year Plans)
- Agriculture Sector, Land Reforms in India, Technological change in Agriculture
- Industrial Policy, Public Sector Enterprises, and their performance, Growth, and pattern of industrialization, Small-scale sector, Productivity in the industrial sector, SEZ and industrialization, foreign
investment and competition policy, e-Commerce, Effects of liberalization on the economy.
- Infrastructure in Indian Economy, Meaning and importance of infrastructure – Water Supply and Sanitation- Energy and Power – Science and Technology – Rural and Urban Infrastructure, Ports,
Roads, Airports, Railways, Telecommunication, Dams, Inland Waterways. Social Impact Assessment.
- Trends and Patterns in the structure of the population over time, Different Indexes.
- Indian Public Finance, Government Budgeting, Indian Tax System, Public Expenditure, Public Debt, Deficit and Subsidies in the Indian Economy.
- Center-State financial relation.
- Recent fiscal and monetary policy issues and their impact,
- The structure of Indian Banking and Non- Banking Financial Institutions and reforms, GST: Concept and
Implications. Stock exchange and share market.
- Trend, Composition, Structure, and direction of India’s foreign trade. India’s Balance of payments situation in the post reforms period.
- The economy of Kerala State-an overview, Population, Major agriculture, Industry, Service sector issues. Infrastructure and resources, Major Developmental Projects, Programmes, and Schemes.
Co-operative Sector. History and relevant policies in traditional industries, IT Sector, Pravasi and Foreign remittance.
- Kerala model development- Programmes, Initiatives, and Impacts.
- Science and Technology
- Nature and Scope of ICT, ICT in day to day life, ICT and industry, ICT, and Governance
- Technology in Space and Defence: Evolution of Indian Space Programme, ISRO
- Energy requirement and efficiency
- Environmental Science: Issues and concerns related to the environment, its legal aspects, policies, and treaties.
- Biodiversity – its importance and concerns, Climate change, International initiatives (Policies, Protocols) and India’s commitment, Western Ghats, Features, Characteristics, and issues.
- Forest and wildlife – Legal framework for Forest and Wildlife Conservation in India.
- Environmental Hazards, Pollution, Carbon Emission, Global Warming. National action plans on climate change and Disaster Management.
- Developments in Biotechnology, Green Technology, and Nanotechnology.
- Current Affairs
- Language Proficiency – English
Tenses ,Synonyms , Phrasal Verbs, Antonyms, ErrorCorrection, Adjectives, Adverbs, Reported Speech, Active Voice ,Passive Voice, Auxiliary Verb, Question Tag, Degrees of Comparison, Punctuation, Idioms and Phrases, Simple Compound Complex Sentences, Connectives, Prepositional Verbs, Prepositions, Concord , Pronouns, Order and Sentence Order.
- Language Proficiency – Malayalam
1) പദശുദ്ധി 2) വാക്യശുദ്ധി 3) പരിഭാഷ 4) ഒറ്റപദം 5) പരയായം 6)
വിപരീത പദം 7) ൈശൈലിക്ള് പഴഞ്ചൊല്ഞ്ചാല്ലുക്ള് 8) സമാനപദം 9)
േചേര്ത്തൊല്ത്തെഴുതുക് 10) സ്ത്രീലിംഗം പുല്ലിംഗം 11) വചേനം 12) പിരിൊല്ച്ചെഴുതല് 13)
ഘടക് പദം (വാക്യം േചേര്ത്തൊല്ത്തെഴുതുക്) 14) ഭരണഭാഷയുമായി ബന്ധപ്പൊല്പ്പെട്ട്
ഒരു ഖണ്ഡിക് നല്കി അതിൊല്ന ആധാരമാക്കി േചോദയങ്ങള് 15) ഔദ്യേദയാഗിക്
ഭാഷാ പദാവലി, വിപുലനം, സംഗ്രഹം.
- Language Proficiency – Kannada
- Language Proficiency -Tamil
Click on below link to download the Kerala Administrative Service 2019 Notification pdf
Kerala Administrative Service 2019 Exam Pattern
The preliminary examination shall be in Objective mode only. Both General Studies question papers would be in English.
|SL NO||Topic||Maximum Marks||Exam Duration||Number of Questions|
|2||Paper-II: Part I General Studies||50||90 minutes||50|
|3||Paper-II: Part II Language
|4||Paper-II: Part II Language
Proficiency in English
The main examination will be a descriptive type examination containing 3 papers of 100 marks each.
|SL NO||Topic||Maximum Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Paper I||100||02 hours|
|3||Paper III||100||02 hours|
Questions of the Main examination will be provided in English while the candidates can write the answers
either in English or in Malayalam.
There will be a face to face interview to judge the mental caliber of the candidates. The interview is for 50 marks.
The selected KAS officers would be on probation for two years. The probationer needs to pass the following tests after he/she gets into service within the predetermined period.
- The Revenue Test
- The Criminal Judicial Test (A candidate who possesses a degree in Law shall not be required to pass the criminal Judicial test).
- Account Test
- Survey Test
Check out the official notification for KAS Exam 2019. Click on below link to download the Kerala Administrative Service 2019 Notification pdf
The Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) shall have officers from the following categories :
- Kerala Administrative Service Officer – Junior Time Scale
- KAS Officer – Senior Time Scale
- KAS Officer – Selection Grade Scale
- Kerala Administrative Service Officer – Super Time Grade Scale
The candidates joining the KAS shall start his/her career in the State service in the Junior Time Scale Grade. The vacant posts under Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) will be divided in the ratio of 6: 5:4:3 among the Junior Time Scale, Senior Time Scale, Selection Grade Scale, and Super Time Grade Scale.
Kerala Administrative Service Salary 2019 – 2020
The salary of the KAS officers will be the highest scale of pay allowable for those posts. In addition to the given scale of pay, the Grade Pay for the KAS officers will be determined by the government and subject to periodic revision.
|Position in the State Government Service||Department||Scale of Pay||Number of Posts|
|District Supply Officer||
|State 45800 – 89000||14|
|State 45800 – 89000||70|
|Assistant Commissioner(AA)||State 42500 – 87000||10|
|Assistant Commissioner(Appeals)||State 45800 – 89000||15|
|Assistant Commissioner- I||
State 42500 – 87000
|Assistant Commissioner- II||1|
|Inspecting Assistant Commissioner||
State 45800 – 89000
|Inspecting Assistant Commissioner – IB||2|
|Statistical Officer||State 40500 – 85000||15|
|Finance Officer||Commissioner for Entrance Examination||State 42500 – 87000||1|
|District Development Officer||Scheduled Caste Developmemt
|State 42500 – 87000||10|
|District Development Officer – DG||State 45800 – 89000||4|
|Training Officer||State 42500 – 87000||1|
Scheduled Tribes Development
|Assistant Director – Planning||1|
|Tribal Development Officer||10|
Social Justice Department
|State 45800- 89000||2|
|Assistant Director||State 42500-87000||6|
|District Social Justice Officer||State 40500-85000||14|
For salary details and the number of posts under various departments in Kerala Administrative Service(KAS), candidates can download the following pdf.
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming KAS examination. Start our Preparation today with Entri.