Table of Contents
This UPSC Online page is a resource and information repository for the IAS exam 2020. With the increase in internet penetration in India, there is a manifold increase in online coachings, test series and availability of online UPSC books.The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has also shifted to an online application and registration process for the various exams under its purview. The official site upsconline.nic.in is the hub for the UPSC exam form, admit card and related information. Now, UPSC only issues the admit cards online, 2-3 weeks before the date of the exam.In this blog we will discuss about UPSC 2020 Apply Online.
Annually, the UPSC conducts several exams such as NDA, IES, CDS, CAPF etc., including the most prestigious and competitive exam in India, i.e. the IAS exam. Officially the IAS exam is known as the Civil Services Exam which is conducted in three stages – Prelims, Mains and Interview.
The UPSC online portal for the Civil Services Exam 2020 has been opened for a month during 12th February- 3rd March 2020 for the application and registration process. The online UPSC application contains a 2-part registration form. Part 1 comprises basic details such as name, age, address etc. and the part 2 registration comprises the selection of the UPSC exam centre, payment of fees and uploading the photo, signature and id proof.
The first stage of the IAS exam is the Prelims. IAS Prelims exam is an offline (pen-paper) exam which comprises two papers (objective type questions/MCQs). UPSC Prelims 2020 will be held on Sunday, May 31. Around 5-7 lakh aspirants are expected to appear for the exam. Out of which, only 10000-12000 candidates will qualify for the next stage. At the linked page for Prelims, you can find online UPSC notes PDF along with a preparation strategy.
The result of the Prelims exam will be declared in mid-July(tentatively) and as per the UPSC calendar 2020, the Mains are scheduled to begin from September 18. This gives candidates barely enough time to cover all the topics in the comprehensive IAS Syllabus.
The candidates who will register on the official UPSC website successfully will be issued Admit Cards for IAS exam (Prelims) in about three weeks before the date of the exam. Candidates have to download the same from the UPSC official website. The admit cards will not be sent by post.
UPSC 2020 Online Notification
The UPSC notification gives all the details about the civil services exam that a candidate needs to know before attempting or even applying for the IAS exam.
The UPSC Notification gives the following information:
- UPSC exam dates
- UPSC vacancies
- Exam centres
- Exam fees
- How to apply/online application procedure
- Eligibility for civil services exam (nationality/age limit/number of attempts/educational requirement)
- UPSC Exam Plan
- UPSC posts (for which the civil services exam is held)
- Latest UPSC Syllabus
The UPSC notification also gives the IAS exam dates as mentioned below:
- The UPSC online application process for the prelims exam commenced on 12th February 2020, and will go till 3rd March 2020.
- The IAS Prelims exam which was to be conduced on 31st May 2020; has now been postponed till further notice.
- The UPSC Prelims Results are expected to be released by mid-July.
- The UPSC mains exam is scheduled to commence on 18th September 2020, and will be held for five days.
- The UPSC Personality Test/interview will be held in early next year, 2021.
UPSC 2020 Civil Services Posts
UPSC recruitment is conducted through the civil services exam to fill in vacancies in the following services, as mentioned in the UPSC notification:
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Indian Police Service (IPS)
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group ‘A’
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group ‘A’ (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group ‘A’
- Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group ‘A’
- Indian Trade Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group ‘A’
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’ (Section Officer’s Grade)
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group ‘B’
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group ‘B’
- Pondicherry Civil Service, Group ‘B’
- Pondicherry Police Service, Group ‘B’
UPSC 2020: Vacancies
The number of vacancies to be filled through the UPSC Civil Services Exam this year is 796 (out of which 24 are reserved for candidates with benchmark disabilities.)
UPSC 2019: Vacancies
The number of vacancies to be filled through the UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019 is 896 (out of which 39 are reserved for candidates with benchmark disabilities). Every year, the UPSC notification released gives the number of vacancies available for the total number of posts including all the services.
UPSC 2020 Exam Centres
The UPSC notification also gives information on the venue or centres of examination for both the prelims and the mains exams. Candidates should apply as soon as possible if they wish to receive a centre of their choice as they are allocated on a “first-apply-first-allot” basis.
UPSC 2020 Eligibility Conditions
Before filling up the UPSC online application form, ensure that you are eligible as per the UPSC notification and the rules listed in the Gazette. Broadly speaking, the IAS eligibility criteria can be subdivided into the following categories:
- Age Limit
- Minimum Educational Qualification
- Number of Attempts
- EWS Certificate Criteria
UPSC 2020 Exam Fees
The UPSC notification also gives the amount of fees that candidates have to pay while registering for the IAS exam.
- The registration/application fee for the UPSC prelims exam is Rs.100/-, and for the mains exam is Rs.200/-.
- Female/SC-ST/Disabled candidates are exempt from paying the fees.
- Payment can be made while applying for the prelims exam online, either by cash mode or by online payment. Cash payment can be made by opting for the “Pay by Cash” mode and generating the Pay-in-slip. After that, the fee should be deposited the next working day at an SBI branch.
- Candidates should pay the exam fees (unless they are exempt) well before the last date to avoid any last minute hiccups.
- Candidates who will clear the IAS prelims will have to apply again for the mains exam. The UPSC will give out the notification for that as well. Follow the procedure as mentioned in the notification and apply for the mains before the due date.
How to Apply Online for UPSC Recruitment?
The UPSC notification gives the detailed procedure for online IAS application. Read through the notification thoroughly before applying for the exam.
1) Visit the official UPSC application website (upsconline.nic.in)
2) Navigate to the UPSC Civil Services Examination Link
3) Click on Fill Part-I Registration
4) Once the registration number is generated, use it to fill out Part-II Registration
5) Click on submit once done
Points to be noted while filling up the form
- Candidates should note that the UPSC CSE prelims exam is also the same for the Indian Forest Service (IFoS). So, candidates should specify while applying whether they are applying for civil services or forest service or both.
- There are two parts to the registration process – Part I and Part II. Candidates should also pay the fees, give centre preference, and upload the photo and signature images on the website. They should also specify the language of the medium of exam for papers I to V. The optional subject should also be selected. Candidates should also specify the Indian language for paper A. (The medium, language and optional subject selection are required for mains exam only but they have to be specified while applying for the prelims itself).
- While filling in the above details, candidates are advised to be careful as once submitted, no changes are entertained by the UPSC in this regard.
- Candidates should read the instructions carefully before filling out and applying for the exam.
- Read detailed instructions on how to apply on the link below:
- UPSC Online Application Form 2020
- Candidates are advised to read the UPSC Notification in detail before applying online for the civil services exam. Further important details are given in the UPSC notification.
Selection Process of Civil Services Exam (CSE) & UPSC Syllabus
- The UPSC CSE is conducted in two stages as described below:
- Stage 1: Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination (Objective type) – UPSC Prelims
- Stage 2: Civil Services (Main) Examination (Written and Interview) – UPSC Mains
- Only candidates who qualify the preliminary exam are allowed to take the IAS mains exam. The mains written exam will be held first after which selected candidates will be summoned for the UPSC Interview/personality test.
- Candidates, please note that the present UPSC notification is only for application to the UPSC Prelims 2020.
- Candidates who clear the UPSC Mains are then called for the IAS Interview (UPSC Personality Test).
Why Practice from Entri?
- Always provides you up to date materials that are created by Entri’s Top Experts.
- Mock tests available in bilingual and other regional languages
- Download Entri to access the unlimited mock test.
Navigating through Entri
- Open your Entri App go to the UPSC Tab and check the mock tests.
- You can check courses and Mock test for other examinations as well
- Subscribe to our Mock Test and clear your examination with flying colors.
Ace your preparation. That is where Entri comes in. It helps you to prepare effectively for your Exam.
That will be all from our end at Entri, hope you have benefited from our mock tests and study materials. Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself.