Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is one of the most buzzworthy recruitment drives in Kerala. Through KAS eligible graduates will be able to start their career in the state government service at the Junior Time Scale positions and can further advance towards IAS within 08 years of service. Kerala PSC has published the Kerala Administrative Service Exam 2019 notification. Graduates can now apply towards the same on or before December 04, 2019.
Kerala Administrative Service (KAS) Eligibility Criteria
KAS Eligibility Criteria – Age
- Direct Recruitment – Candidates should be aged between 21 years – 32 years. Age relaxations according to the government norms are applicable for reservation categories.
- Regular Employees from any government Department – Candidates should be aged between 21 years – 40 years.
- By Transfer appointment – Upper age limit is 50 years.
KAS Eligibility Criteria -Education Qualification
- Graduates in any stream from any UGC approved University or its equivalent as on January 01, 2019.
List of services in Kerala Administrative Service(KAS)
According to the draft rules proposed b the Government, the Kerala Civil Service Executive Special Rules, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) officers will be posted across 29 departments in Kerala State Government services including Kerala Secretariat public administration & finance. Recommended departments are :
- Administrative Secretariat
- Finance Secretariat
- Civil Supplies
- Commercial Taxes
- Commissionerate of Entrance Examinations
- Co-operative department
- Industries and Commerce
- State Lotteries
- National Employment Service
- National Savings
- Kerala State Audit
- Land Revenue
- Sainik Welfare
- Social Justice
- State Insurance
- Kerala State land use board
- Rural development
- Scheduled Caste development
- Scheduled Tribe development
- Survey and land records
- General Education
- Urban Affairs
Kerala Administrative Service Exam Date
- KAS Notification – November 01, 2019
- Kerala Administrative Service 2019 Application Period – November 01, 2019 to December 04, 2019
- Kerala Administrative Service Exam Date (Preliminary) – February 2020
- KAS Main Exam – To be notified
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims
PSC has now published only the syllabus for Kerala Administrative Service Preliminary Exam. The syllabus is similar to UPSC CSE with more focus on Kerala and related matters.
KAS Exam Pattern
- Preliminary Examination – Objective Test
- Main Examination – Descriptive Test
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims
KAS Preliminary Examination
General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Current Events of National and State Importance.
- National Movements with Special Reference to Kerala – Political, Social, Economical and Cultural Movements.
- Physical, Social and Economic Geography of India with importance on Kerala.
- Indian Polity and Governance, Salient features of the Constitution of India, Political System, Panchayat raj System, Public Policy.
- Human Rights, Social Audit, Lokayukta, Ombudsman, Women’s Commission, Child Labour.
- Sustainable Development, Poverty Alleviation, Inclusion, Social Sector Initiatives, Important Government Schemes
- Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, Climatic changes and Disaster Management.
- Indian Space Programme, Basics of Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- Basic Facts about IT and Cyber Laws
- Vocabulary and Grammar
- Agreement of Subject and Verb
- Idioms and their meanings
- Error Correction
Reasoning Ability and Mathematics
- Number Systems, Divisibility of Numbers
- HCF, LCM
- Percentages, Averages, Ratios
- Partnerships, Mixtures and Allegations
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Time and Work, Time and Distance
- Coding and Decoding
- Direction Sense
- Letter Series, Number, Alphanumeric Series, etc
- Spelling Test
- Reading Comprehension
- Cultural Heritage of India with emphasis on the 20th century, Post Independent Indian Polity.
- Social and Cultural Movements in Kerala, Important Social Reformers, Agitations, Festivals in Kerala
- Indian economy in the Global Environment, Development and Environmental Issues etc, Basics of Economy – (GDP, Taxes), Important Government Institutions(NITI Aayog)
- Kerala Development Model, Food Security, Group Initiatives, Non-Resident Indians(NRI) and Migration, Role of Co-operatives, Women Empowerment schemes in Kerala.
- Indian Constitution, Role of District Collectors in Administration, Amendments, Features of Indian Political System
- Land Laws enacted in Kerala(Kerala Protection of Riverbank and Regulation of removal of sand Act, 2001, Ecological Fragile Land Act, 2005, Kerala Conservation of Paddy Land and Wet Land Act, 2008), Decentralisation in Local Administration.
- Information Communication Technology, Space Technology, Cyber Laws
- Regional Language – Reading Comprehension, Translation, Basic Grammar test, Literature, etc.
There will be a face to face interview to judge the mental calibre of the candidates. The interview has a maximum score of 50 marks.
The selected KAS officers would be on probation for two years. The probationer needs to pass the following tests after he/she gets into service within the predetermined period.
- The Revenue Test
- The Criminal Judicial Test (A candidate who possesses a degree in Law shall not be required to pass the criminal Judicial test).
- Account Test
- Survey Test
Check out the official notification for KAS Exam 2019. Click on below link to download the Kerala Administrative Service 2019 Notification pdf
Kerala Administrative Service Salary
The Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) shall have officers from the following categories :
- Kerala Administrative Service Officer – Junior Time Scale
- KAS Officer – Senior Time Scale
- KAS Officer – Selection Grade Scale
- Kerala Administrative Service Officer – Super Time Grade Scale
The candidates joining the KAS shall start his/her career in the State service in the Junior Time Scale Grade. The vacant posts under Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) will be divided in the ratio of 6: 5:4:3 among the Junior Time Scale, Senior Time Scale, Selection Grade Scale and Super Time Grade Scale.
Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) Salary
The salary of the KAS officers will be the highest scale of pay allowable for those posts. In addition to the given scale of pay, the Grade Pay for the KAS officers will be determined by the government and subject to periodic revision.
|Position in the State Government Service||Department||Scale of Pay||Number of Posts|
|District Supply Officer||
|State 45800 – 89000||14|
|State 45800 – 89000||70|
|Assistant Commissioner(AA)||State 42500 – 87000||10|
|Assistant Commissioner(Appeals)||State 45800 – 89000||15|
|Assistant Commissioner- I||
State 42500 – 87000
|Assistant Commissioner- II||1|
|Inspecting Assistant Commissioner||
State 45800 – 89000
|Inspecting Assistant Commissioner – IB||2|
|Statistical Officer||State 40500 – 85000||15|
|Finance Officer||Commissioner for Entrance Examination||State 42500 – 87000||1|
|District Development Officer||Scheduled Caste Developmemt
|State 42500 – 87000||10|
|District Development Officer – DG||State 45800 – 89000||4|
|Training Officer||State 42500 – 87000||1|
Scheduled Tribes Development
|Assistant Director – Planning||1|
|Tribal Development Officer||10|
Social Justice Department
|State 45800- 89000||2|
|Assistant Director||State 42500-87000||6|
|District Social Justice Officer||State 40500-85000||14|
For more details about the grade pay and the number of posts under various departments reserved for KAS, candidates can download the following pdf.
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming KAS examination. Start our Preparation today with Entri.