Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is one of the most anticipating recruitment drives in Kerala. Thousands of graduates from Kerala are eagerly waiting for the official notification. Through KAS eligible graduates will be able to start their career in the state government service at the Junior Time Scale positions and can further advance towards IAS within 08 years of service. KAS official notification is expecting by December 2019 and the preliminary examinations before the first half of 2020. In the draft of special rules submitted for Kerala Administrative Services, the pay scale of the selected officers are given. The KAS officers will have the highest salary in their department’s pay scale. The Kerala Administrative Service Salary details for both junior and senior levels are given here.
Kerala Administrative Service (KAS) Eligibility Criteria
KAS Eligibility Criteria – Age
- Direct Recruitment – Candidates should be aged between 21 years – 32 years. Age relaxations according to the government norms are applicable for reservation categories.
- Regular Employees from any government Department – Candidates should be aged between 21 years – 40 years.
- By Transfer appointment – Upper age limit is 50 years.
KAS Eligibility Criteria -Education Qualification
- Graduates in any stream from any UGC approved University or its equivalent as on January 01, 2019.
List of services in Kerala Administrative Service
According to the draft rules proposed b the Government, the Kerala Civil Service Executive Special Rules, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) officers will be posted across 29 departments in Kerala State Government services including Kerala Secretariat public administration & finance. Recommended departments are :
- Administrative Secretariat
- Finance Secretariat
- Civil Supplies
- Commercial Taxes
- Commissionerate of Entrance Examinations
- Co-operative department
- Industries and Commerce
- State Lotteries
- National Employment Service
- National Savings
- Kerala State Audit
- Land Revenue
- Sainik Welfare
- Social Justice
- State Insurance
- Kerala State land use board
- Rural development
- Scheduled Caste development
- Scheduled Tribe development
- Survey and land records
- General Education
- Urban Affairs
- Common Categories – Administrative Officer, Administrative Assistant, Accounts Officer, Financial Assistant.
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims and Mains
According to the draft rules published by the government, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) examination will have a similar pattern as that of the UPSC Combined Civil Service Examinations. The following syllabus for the Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is the expecting one based on the recommendations submitted towards PSC. If any changes occur in the given Syllabus for KAS we will update you soon.
KAS Exam Pattern
- Preliminary Examination – Objective Test
- Main Examination – Descriptive Test
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims and Mains
General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Current Events of National and State Importance.
- National Movements with Special Reference to Kerala – Political, Social, Economical and Cultural Movements.
- Physical, Social and Economic Geography of India with importance on Kerala.
- Indian Polity and Governance, Salient features of the Constitution of India, Political System, Panchayat raj System, Public Policy.
- Human Rights, Social Audit, Lokayukta, Ombudsman, Women’s Commission, Child Labour.
- Sustainable Development, Poverty Alleviation, Inclusion, Social Sector Initiatives, Important Government Schemes
- Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, Climatic changes and Disaster Management.
- Indian Space Programme, Basics of Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- Cultural Heritage of India with emphasis on the 20th century, Post Independent Indian Polity.
- Social and Cultural Movements in Kerala, Important Social Reformers, Agitations, Festivals in Kerala
- Indian economy in the Global Environment, Development and Environmental Issues etc, Basics of Economy – (GDP, Taxes), Important Government Institutions(NITI Aayog)
- Kerala Development Model, Food Security, Group Initiatives, Non-Resident Indians(NRI) and Migration, Role of Co-operatives, Women Empowerment schemes in Kerala.
- Indian Constitution, Role of District Collectors in Administration, Amendments, Features of Indian Political System
- Land Laws enacted in Kerala(Kerala Protection of Riverbank and Regulation of removal of sand Act, 2001, Ecological Fragile Land Act, 2005, Kerala Conservation of Paddy Land and Wet Land Act, 2008), Decentralisation in Local Administration.
- Information Communication Technology, Space Technology, Cyber Laws
- Vocabulary and Grammar
- Agreement of Subject and Verb
- Idioms and their meanings
- Error Correction
Click Here for PSC Exam Calendar- Kerala PSC Exam Calendar November 2019
Reasoning Ability and Mathematics
- Number Systems, Divisibility of Numbers
- HCF, LCM
- Percentages, Averages, Ratios
- Partnerships, Mixtures and Allegations
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Time and Work, Time and Distance
- Coding and Decoding
- Direction Sense
- Letter Series, Number, Alphanumeric Series, etc
- Spelling Test
- Reading Comprehension
There will be a face to face interview to judge the mental calibre of the candidates. The interview is expected to carry a weight of around 20 per cent of the total marks.
Kerala Administrative Service Salary
The Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) shall have officers from the following categories :
- Kerala Administrative Service Officer – Junior Time Scale
- KAS Officer – Senior Time Scale
- KAS Officer – Selection Grade Scale
- Kerala Administrative Service Officer – Super Time Grade Scale
The candidates joining the KAS shall start his/her career in the State service in the Junior Time Scale Grade. The vacant posts under Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) will be divided in the ratio of 6: 5:4:3 among the Junior Time Scale, Senior Time Scale, Selection Grade Scale and Super Time Grade Scale.
Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) Salary
The salary of the KAS officers will be highest scale of pay allowable for those posts. In addition to the given scale of pay, the Grade Pay for the KAS officers will be determined by the government and subject to periodic revision.
|Position in the State Government Service||Department||Scale of Pay||Number of Posts|
|District Supply Officer||
|State 45800 – 89000||14|
|State 45800 – 89000||70|
|Assistant Commissioner(AA)||State 42500 – 87000||10|
|Assistant Commissioner(Appeals)||State 45800 – 89000||15|
|Assistant Commissioner- I||
State 42500 – 87000
|Assistant Commissioner- II||1|
|Inspecting Assistant Commissioner||
State 45800 – 89000
|Inspecting Assistant Commissioner – IB||2|
|Statistical Officer||State 40500 – 85000||15|
|Finance Officer||Commissioner for Entrance Examination||State 42500 – 87000||1|
|District Development Officer||Scheduled Caste Developmemt
|State 42500 – 87000||10|
|District Development Officer – DG||State 45800 – 89000||4|
|Training Officer||State 42500 – 87000||1|
Scheduled Tribes Development
|Assistant Director – Planning||1|
|Tribal Development Officer||10|
Social Justice Department
|State 45800- 89000||2|
|Assistant Director||State 42500-87000||6|
|District Social Justice Officer||State 40500-85000||14|
For salary details and the number of posts under various departments in Kerala Administrative Service(KAS), candidates can download the following pdf. Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) Pay Scale
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming KAS examination. Start our Preparation today with Entri.