Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is one of the most buzzworthy recruitment drives in Kerala. For the two years, the government is also pushing for KAS recruitment. Through KAS eligible graduates will be able to start their career in the state government service at the Junior Time Scale positions and can further advance towards IAS within 08 years of service. KAS official notification is expecting by the end of 2019. Here we are bringing you the KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims and Mains based on the recommendations submitted towards the PSC.
Kerala Administrative Service Eligibility
- Direct Recruitment – Candidates should be aged between 21 years – 32 years. Age relaxations according to the government norms are applicable.
- Regular Employees from any government Department – Candidates should be aged between 21 years – 40 years.
- By Transfer appointment – Upper age limit is 50 years.
Graduates in any stream from any UGC approved University or its equivalent.
List of services in Kerala Administrative Service
According to the draft rules proposed b the Government, the Kerala Civil Service Executive Special Rules, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) officers will be posted across 29 departments in Kerala State Government services including Kerala Secretariat public administration & finance. Recommended departments are :
- Administrative Secretariat
- Finance Secretariat
- Civil Supplies
- Commercial Taxes
- Commissionerate of Entrance Examinations
- Co-operative department
- Industries and Commerce
- State Lotteries
- National Employment Service
- National Savings
- Kerala State Audit
- Land Revenue
- Sainik Welfare
- Social Justice
- State Insurance
- Kerala State land use board
- Rural development
- Scheduled Caste development
- Scheduled Tribe development
- Survey and land records
- General Education
- Urban Affairs
- Common Categories – Administrative Officer, Administrative Assistant, Accounts Officer, Financial Assistant.
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims and Mains
According to the draft rules published by the government, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) examination will have a similar pattern as that of the UPSC Combined Civil Service Examinations. But here in KAS importance would be given towards the History, Geography of Kerala. Candidates Proficiency in the Malayalam language will also be tested in both Preliminary and Main examination. The following syllabus for the Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is the expecting one based on the recommendations submitted towards PSC. If any changes occur in the given Syllabus for KAS we will update you soon.
KAS Exam Pattern
- Preliminary Examination – Objective Test
- Main Examination – Descriptive Test
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims and Mains
KAS Preliminary Examination
General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Current Events of National and State Importance.
- National Movements with Special Reference to Kerala – Political, Social, Economical and Cultural Movements.
- Physical, Social and Economic Geography of India with importance on Kerala.
- Indian Polity and Governance, Salient features of the Constitution of India, Political System, Panchayat raj System, Public Policy.
- Human Rights, Social Audit, Lokayukta, Ombudsman, Women’s Commission, Child Labour.
- Sustainable Development, Poverty Alleviation, Inclusion, Social Sector Initiatives, Important Government Schemes
- Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, Climatic changes and Disaster Management.
- Indian Space Programme, Basics of Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- Basic Facts about IT and Cyber Laws
- Vocabulary and Grammar
- Agreement of Subject and Verb
- Idioms and their meanings
- Error Correction
Click Here for PSC Exam Calendar- Kerala PSC Exam Calendar November 2019
Reasoning Ability and Mathematics
- Number Systems, Divisibility of Numbers
- HCF, LCM
- Percentages, Averages, Ratios
- Partnerships, Mixtures and Allegations
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Time and Work, Time and Distance
- Coding and Decoding
- Direction Sense
- Letter Series, Number, Alphanumeric Series, etc
- Spelling Test
- Reading Comprehension
- Cultural Heritage of India with emphasis on the 20th century, Post Independent Indian Polity.
- Social and Cultural Movements in Kerala, Important Social Reformers, Agitations, Festivals in Kerala
- Indian economy in the Global Environment, Development and Environmental Issues etc, Basics of Economy – (GDP, Taxes), Important Government Institutions(NITI Aayog)
- Kerala Development Model, Food Security, Group Initiatives, Non-Resident Indians(NRI) and Migration, Role of Co-operatives, Women Empowerment schemes in Kerala.
- Indian Constitution, Role of District Collectors in Administration, Amendments, Features of Indian Political System
- Land Laws enacted in Kerala(Kerala Protection of Riverbank and Regulation of removal of sand Act, 2001, Ecological Fragile Land Act, 2005, Kerala Conservation of Paddy Land and Wet Land Act, 2008), Decentralisation in Local Administration.
- Information Communication Technology, Space Technology, Cyber Laws
- Regional Language – Reading Comprehension, Translation, Basic Grammar test, Literature, etc.
There will be a face to face interview to judge the mental calibre of the candidates. Interview is expected to carry a weight of around 20 per cent of the total marks.
The selected KAS officers would be on probation for two years. The probationer needs to pass the following tests after he/she gets into service within the predetermined period.
- The Revenue Test
- The Criminal Judicial Test (A candidate who possesses a degree in Law shall not be required to pass the criminal Judicial test).
- Account Test
- Survey Test
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming KAS examination. Start our Preparation today with Entri.