Table of Contents
Institute of Banking Personnel has released the scorecard of IBPS RRB Clerk 2021. And the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection calculates the marks through the Normalization of the score. IBPS Marks Normalization is done in all its exams from IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, and IBPS RRB. In this blog we will discuss about IBPS Marks Normalization 2021: How IBPS Marks are calculated?
After an exam, candidates worry about how they performed. The IBPS exams attract lakhs of aspirants every year and the exam is conducted in multiple shifts. Some candidates might worry that their shift may have been harder than the others, which would mean a lower score and thus lower chances of selection.To mitigate these concerns, the Institute uses the IBPS equipercentile method to normalise marks across all shifts. This levels the playing field for every candidate. In this article, we will explore how the IBPS marking scheme uses the equipercentile method.
What is IBPS Marks Normalization?
IBPS calculates the marks of all candidates appearing for IBPS Clerk Exam through normalized score calculation. As both the prelims and mains exam is conducted in multiple shifts with varying difficulty levels, Normalization helps in balancing the scores measured on different scales (difficulty shifts ) to a common scale.
Why is IBPS Normalization Done?
IBPS uses the method of Normalization to convert all marks into a standardized format to make it fair for all candidates appearing for the exam. It is done to evaluate the performance of all the candidates on similar exam parameters i.e. it aims to adjust the difficulty level across different shifts of the exam.
- The normalization is done following the fundamental assumption that in all multi-shifts examination, the distribution of abilities of candidates is the same across all shifts.
- This fundamental assumption holds true since the number of candidates appearing in the exam conducted by the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection is large shift allocation is done at random.
How is IBPS Marks Normalization Calculated?
The scores calculated using the normalized formula can be corrected up to 5 places of decimal. Given below is the formula for calculation of final scores of candidates in IBPS exam:
Example for IBPS Marks Normalization
The Normalization of Marks is done in the following manner.
- A candidate got 142 marks on 11 August, 2nd shift.
- The Average marks of top 0.1% candidates in all sessions = 191
- Sum of Mean and SD (cut-off) for all sessions = 131
- Average marks of top 0.1% candidates in 11th August 2nd shift = 185
- Sum of Mean and SD (which is basically a cut-off)for 11th august 2nd session = 129
- Normalization marks = (60/56) (13) + 129 = 142.92
Please Note: In the Official IBPS notification is as follows: Process of Normalization of Score in IBPS Exams
The corrected scores obtained by each of the candidates in different sessions (if held) will be normalized using the Equipercentile method.
Scores up to two decimal points shall be taken for the purpose of calculations
- Based on the number of vacancies available for the exam, the cutoff percentile is specified.
- The IBPS merit list is drawn up to shortlist candidates for the next stage of the examination.
- The same method is applied to each stage of the examination independently.
- For drawing up the final merit list, the equipercentile method is applied based on the exam structure. For example, for IBPS PO, the method would be applied to the total score of interview qualified candidates in both Mains and Interview would be normalized. If the method is being used for clerk selection, only the score secured in the mains would be normalized.
The IBPS takes great care in conducting an impartial selection process for the posts advertised in their notification. The IBPS marking scheme keeps the playing field level for every candidate irrespective of their background and the examination shift they were allotted. Candidates should focus on giving their best for the exam. Apart from the equipercentile method, the following are the salient features of the marking scheme followed by the institute:
- Negative Marking for Incorrect Answers: The institute deducts one-fourth of the marks allotted for a question if an incorrect answer is marked for that question. Conversely, there is no penalty if a question is left unanswered. Hence the formula used to calculate total marks in one paper is:
Total Marks = (Marks allotted for correct answers) – (Marks allotted for incorrect answers/4)
- Rounding Off of Marks: The institute rounds off total marks to the nearest two decimal places after normalization. Based on average scores after normalization, the sectional and overall cut-off marks are decided.
While calculating the overall score in any exam that involves an interview stage, the weightage allotted to the written exam and the interview is in the ratio of 80:20. The interview contributes 20% of the marks while the rest is calculated from the written(mains) exam scores. This ensures that candidates who have prepared well for the exam and can do well as bankers make the cut, irrespective of their socio-economic background.Preparation for these exams should include judicious use of previous years’ question papers, IBPS books and mock tests to score the maximum marks. At the same time, one should not neglect the interview stage of these exams and prepare well for success.
Why Practice from Entri
- Always provides you up to date materials that are created by Entri’s Top Experts.
- Mock tests available in bilingual and other regional languages
- Download Entri to access the unlimited mock test.
Navigating through Entri
- Open your Entri App go to the Banking Tab and check the mock tests.
- You can check courses and Mock test for other examinations as well
- Subscribe to our Mock Test and clear your examination with flying colors.
Ace your preparation. That is where Entri comes in. It helps you to prepare effectively for your Exam.
That will be all from our end at Entri, hope you have benefited from our mock tests and study materials.Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.