Kerala Teacher Eligibility Test (KTET) exam is conducted by Pareeksha Bhavan, Kerala twice a year in order to determine the eligibility of aspirants possessing adequate skills to teach in Lower Primary, Upper Primary as well as High School classes in the state of Kerala. KTET exam is conducted as per the guidelines laid down by the State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT), Kerala along with regulations put forth by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE)/ Department of General Education/Government of Kerala.
The official website of KTET exam states: “Separate test will be conducted to select teachers for Category 1 (Lower Primary classes), Category 2 (Upper Primary classes), Category 3 (High School classes) and Category 4 [for Language Teachers – Arabic, Hindi, Sanskrit, Urdu (up to UP classes), Specialist Teachers (Art & Craft) and Physical Education teachers]”. In this article, we are going to give you some details on the selection process of KTET.
Highlights of KTET 2021 Exam
|Name of Examination||Kerala Teacher Eligibility Test 2021|
|Level of the Examination||State-level|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Purpose of the Examination||For the selection of candidates for the post of teacher in Kerala|
|Official Website of KTET||http://ktet.kerala.gov.in/index.php|
Eligibility criteria of KTET 2021
The minimum eligibility criteria required to sit for the KTET exam for all 4 categories are given below.
Eligibility for category I of KTET 2021 exam ( Lower Primary Classes)
Candidates need to possess the following mentioned educational qualifications to be eligible for KTET 2021 Category I test.
- At Least 45% marks in Higher Secondary/ Senior Secondary (or equivalent) and two years Trained Teachers Certificate (TTC) conducted by Government of Kerala, Board of Examination, or its equivalent.
- At Least 45% marks in Higher Secondary/ Senior Secondary (or equivalent) and 2-year Diploma in Elementary Education as per NCTE (Recognition Norms and Procedure), Regulations 2002.
- At Least 50% marks in Higher Secondary/ Senior Secondary (or equivalent) and four-year Bachelor of Elementary Education known as BEIEd.
- At Least 50% marks in Higher Secondary/ Senior Secondary (or equivalent) and a two-year Diploma in Education (Special Education).
Note: Candidates belonging to SC/ST and differently-abled categories are liable for getting relaxation of 5% in qualifying marks. 3% of relaxation is liable for OBC and OEC candidates in qualifying marks.
Eligibility for category II of KTET 2021 exam ( Upper Primary Classes)
Candidates need to possess the following mentioned educational qualifications to be eligible for the KTET 2021 Category II test.
- BA/BSc/Bcom and two-year Diploma in Elementary Education/Trained Teachers Certificate (TTC) conducted by the Kerala government, Board of Examination, or it’s equivalent.
- At least 40% marks in BA/BSc/Bcom and one year Bachelor in Education (BEd) as per NCTE (Recognition, Norms, and Procedure) regulations issued at regular intervals of time.
- At least 50% marks in Higher Secondary/Senior Secondary (or it’s equivalent) and four-year Bachelor in Elementary Education (BEIEd).
- At least 50% marks in Higher Secondary/Senior Secondary (or it’s equivalent) and four years BA/BSc Ed or BA Ed or BSc. Ed.
Note: Candidates belonging to SC/ST and differently-abled categories will be getting relaxation of 5% in qualifying marks. 3% of relaxation will be there for OBC and OEC candidates in qualifying marks.
Eligibility for category III of KTET 2021 exam (High School Classes)
Candidates need to possess any of the following mentioned educational qualifications to be eligible for the KTET 2021 Category III test.
- At Least 45% marks in BA/BSc/Bcom and a BEd degree in the subject concerned (from the recognized universities of Kerala or have received the qualifications as mentioned earlier from any other Universities recognized equivalent)
- Candidates applying for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology subjects need to have an MSc Ed degree in the subjects mentioned earlier with not less than 50% marks from one of the Regional Institutes of Education under NCERT. If these criteria fulfill, candidates are eligible to apply.
- Candidates applying for Zoology and Botany subjects need to have an MSc Ed degree in the above-mentioned subjects with not less than 50% marks from one of the Regional Institutes of Education. They will only be eligible for applying.
- At least 45% marks in BA or its equivalent and pass in LTTC are eligible to apply.
Some other additional criteria for KTET 2021 Category III candidates.
- Any candidate who has received their Diploma/Degree in teaching in any subject and is approved from the Universities/NCTE/Board of Examination/Kerala Government is eligible to apply for the KTET III category. They need to produce the concerned certificates to be able to prove their teaching diploma as recognized by the Universities of the Government of Kerala.
- Candidates who have received their qualifications from the recognized correspondence courses or Open Universities can also produce the certificates from any one of the Universities of Kerala, or it’s an equivalence.
- The marks received in the main and subsidiary papers only shall be considered for calculating the minimum qualifications.
Note: Candidates belonging to SC/ST and differently-abled categories are eligible for 5% relaxation in qualifying marks. 3% of relaxation will be applicable for OBC and OEC candidates in qualifying marks.
Eligibility for category IV of KTET 2021 exam
- Candidates willing to apply for category IV must have the required qualifications concerning the post of Language Teachers of Arabic, Hindi, Sanskrit, and Urdu (up to Upper Primary Classes)
- Specialist Teachers and Physical Education teachers must adhere to the qualifications as given in Chapter XXXI of the KERALA EDUCATION ACT AND RULES for applying to the KTET IV category.
KTET 2021 Exam Syllabus
The exam pattern of KTET 2021 is set in a way that the questions are based on the syllabus of SCERT Kerala. As explained above, the exam pattern is already given. The syllabus is given below according to the four different categories.
- For category I, the syllabus includes Child Development and Pedagogy that is relevant for age groups 6-11. There shall be questions from Mathematics, Environment Studies of the level of classes I-V by SCERT. There will also be language-related questions.
- For category II, the syllabus is similar, but only the level will be of classes V-VIII SCERT level.
- The syllabus of categories III and IV will include Adolescent Psychology, Subject-specific areas, and language questions.
Selection Procedure of KTET 2021
The selection procedure of the KTET 2021 is explained well below.
Step 1: Application form filling
The application form is available on the official site of KTET by Pareeksha Bhavan. Candidates must acknowledge this and submit their KTET 2021 application form by the concerned date. The submission of online payment or Chalan and a copy of required certificates are mandatory along with the online application form.
Candidates have the authority to select their choice of test center while filling the application form for KTET 2021. For examination fees, aspirants can pay via credit card/debit card, Net banking, or by Challan. The bank details for the same are given below.
Bank Name: State Bank of Travancore
Account holder Name: The Director, SCERT, Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram
Account Number: 67371493960
Step 2: Admit card
After the successful filling up of the application form, candidates have to download their KTET 2020 admit card from the official website of Kerala Pareeksha Bhavan. It must be noted that the admit cards shall not be sent via post and have to be downloaded. The admit card consists of the applicant’s name and the test center.
Step 3: KTET exam 2021
Each of the four categories of the KTET exam shall be of 150 minutes or two and a half hours of duration. Candidates must ensure that they reach their test center at least 30 minutes before the exam to have a hassle-free experience. The KTET exam shall be done on an OMR sheet.
Step 4: Checking of KTET 2021 result
The result of KTET 2020 was released on the official website of Kerala Pareeksha Bhavan. Candidates are advised to check the website to see their results. After that, those who have made it to the merit list of the KTET exam have to produce their original certificates and documents in front of the District Educational Officer for verification. A certificate of verification shall then be given to the candidates by the District Educational Officer.
KTET Exam Validity
With the announcement on June 3, 2021, our Education Minister has brought a path-breaking change in the TET. All TET results from 2011 onwards will be valid for a lifetime.
- Candidates preparing for the KTET exam can give as many attempts as possible. There is no restriction on the number of attempts.
- Candidates who have already been given the KTET exam once can give the exam again to improve their scores.
- The validity of the KTET qualifying certificate is for a lifetime. Earlier it used to be valid for 7 years from the date of passing the KTET.
Cut-off Trends and Qualifying Marks
The KTET cut-off marks are decided according to the highest scorer in the exam. The cut-off is different for each of the four categories. However, the qualifying marks are basically the minimum passing marks that the candidates must score. The qualifying marks are set according to the categories. Those who get the minimum qualifying marks in the KTET exam are considered to pass the exam. It is given in the tabular form below.
|Category||KTET Qualifying Percentage||KTET Qualifying Marks|
We hope that through this article you got a glimpse of the selection process of KTET. Read thoroughly this article and make use of this. Entri wishes you all success in all the coming exams. Prepare well and Stay Safe…