Table of Contents
KERALA PSC HSST JOB PROFILE 2022
As a Higher Secondary School Teacher, you will be teaching students of grade 11 and 12. You will be specialised in one particular subject and responsible for developing in your students a strong basic level of understanding in the subject and preparing them for college.
What do Higher Secondary School Teachers do ?
Higher secondary school teachers assist students in understanding the purpose, philosophy and nature of the subject. They teach students about the subject concepts, educate them for self study and independent learning, help them build reference skills, critical thinking and motivate them to undertake group learning. They also attempt to build among the students the skills for promoting national consciousness and communal harmony.
KPSC HSST JOB PROFILE: ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF HSST
- He/she should give lectures and demonstrations in one or more subjects.
- He/she should give classwork and homework to Higher Secondary School students.
- He/she should evaluate test papers and classwork and homework assignments.
- He/she should prepare students for qualifying examinations.
- He/she should set up rules for behavior in the classroom and school premises.
- He/she should be able to keep up order among the students.
- He/she should change teaching methods and materials as per the changing needs and interests of the students.
- He/she should maintain student records correctly.
- He/she should meet with parents and communicate about students’ studies.
- He/she should take part in departmental meetings and school training events.
- He/she should conduct extracurricular activities like picnics and sports activities.
KERALA PSC HSST JOB PROFILE: QUALIFICATION FOR KERALA PSC HSST EXAM CANDIDATES
- Post-Graduation+ M.Ed. or Post Graduation +B.Ed. +SET.
- Additional Qualifications such as MPhil/PhD /Post-Doctoral Fellowship (postdoc) will be considered.
- The following category is exempted from SET Qualification:
- Those candidates who have passed the State Level Eligibility Test (SLET) for the post of College Lecturers conducted by the Government of Kerala are exempted from passing the State Eligibility Test (SET) for Higher Secondary School Teachers.
- Those candidates who have passed the National Eligibility Test/Junior Research Fellowship shall be exempted from passing the State Eligibility Test.
- Candidates with Ph.D./M.Phil/M.Ed. degree shall be exempted from passing the State Eligibility Test provided the M.Phil in the concerned subject should be one awarded by any of the Universities in Kerala or recognized as equivalent thereto by any of the Universities in Kerala.
- The teachers who have completed 10(ten) years of approved teaching service at the High School level in the General Education subordinate service shall be exempted from passing the State Eligibility Test for Higher Secondary School Teachers.
Minimum Eligibility To Apply for Higher Secondary School Teacher
- The age limit to apply for an HSST vacancy in Kerala Government service is 20 to 40 years. OBC and SC/ST category are eligible for Upper age relaxation
- Master’s Degree in the concerned subject with not less than 50% marks from any of the Universities in Kerala or a qualification recognized as equivalent.
- B.Ed Degree in the concerned subject acquired after a regular course of study from any of the Universities in Kerala or a qualification recognized as equivalent.
- Must have passed the State Eligibility Test for the post of Higher Secondary School Teachers conducted by the Government of Kerala or by the agency authorized by the State Government.
KPSC HSST JOB PROFILE: Career Growth/Promotion to Higher Senior Secondary School Teacher
Take stream of choice at +2
The stream you choose at +2 depends upon which subject you want to specialise in as a teacher. You can choose any stream at +2 which makes you eligible for joining a UG course in that subject. For specialising in physical sciences and mathematics, choose Science stream with Maths at +2 and for Life sciences it is advisable to choose Science with Biology at +2 level. If you aim to take up teaching of a Humanities, Social Sciences or Commerce subject generally you may opt for any stream at +2 but requirements for undergraduate admission in some institutions may specify certain subjects to be compulsory at +2 level
Take a bachelor’s degree in the subject of your choice
You may take a BA/BSc/BCom degree in the subject you choose. This is usually of 3 year duration and is available in most universities and affiliated colleges in the country.
Take a Master’s degree (MA/MSc/MCom)
After graduation in the subject you have chosen you can take a master’s degree in the subject. This is of 2 year duration.
Take a B Ed degree
In order to be eligible to take up a career as a Senior Secondary School teacher you need to qualify as a Bachelor of Education with your subject of choice taken up as the specialisation. This is usually a 2 year course which includes compulsory teaching practice and can be taken up after earning a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the subject.
- Some reputed institutes of education offer a dual degree integrated program of BA-Ed /BSc-Ed which is of 4 year duration and is equivalent to BA/BSc and BEd in the subject of specialisation. This can be taken up after +2 qualification in the relevant stream
- An integrated MSc-Ed program of 6 year duration is offered by reputed institutes of education, which is equivalent to a postgraduate qualification and BEd in the chosen subject. This program includes bachelor’s level courses in the relevant subjects and master’s level courses in the subject of specialisation along with courses covering Bachelor of Education program. This can be taken up after +2 qualification in the relevant stream.
Although these higher qualifications are not essential eligibility requirements for a Senior Secondary school teacher, preference may be given to MPhil/PhD holders in the subject provided that they also qualify in BEd within a stipulated period.
Teacher Eligibility Tests
In order to take up a teaching career in Government institutions you may have to qualify in Teacher Eligibility Tests for Higher Secondary teachers. Private Schools may also use these qualifications as their employment criteria.
Candidates qualified in UGC NET may be given preference for a PGT(Post Graduate Teacher ) post provided you also fulfil other requirements for a senior secondary teacher.
Kerala PSC HSST Salary 2022: Pay Scale
Kerala PSC Higher Secondary School Teacher post is a highly paid and prestigious job under Kerala Government. Along with the basic salary they will be provided with other allowances, benefits, and perks in addition. The excellent salary package with incentives forces the aspirants to participate in the recruitment process. The salary structure can act as an eye-opener for the Kerala PSC Higher Secondary School Teacher recruitment as it helps the candidates to remain motivated and perform more demanding to reach their ideal job as Higher Secondary School Teacher.
The revised pay scale for the post of Higher Secondary School Teacher ranges between INR 55200/- and INR 115300/- in addition to other allowances.
Kerala PSC HSST Salary 2022:In Hand Salary
After allowances and deductions for insurance, pension benefits, and other perks, the Kerala PSC Higher Secondary School Teacher Salary In Hand varies from about INR 54,524 – INR 55,886/-.