The largest bank of India that is the SBI has called for filling in the vacancies for the post of Probationary Officer in different branches of the bank across the country. In this article, we shall discuss the SBI PO Job Profile 2020. Here SBI PO stands for State Bank of India Probationary Officer. Since SBI is the biggest bank in the country they are also the largest recruiter when it comes to the banking sector. Hence it recruits around 2000 candidates almost every year for the post of SBI PO. For candidates who are looking for a job in the banking sector, SBI is always the first choice.
SBI PO Job Profile and Work Details
The Central Recruitment and Promotion Department or CRPD is responsible for the complete recruitment process for the SBI PO 2020 Exam and for the Associate Group of SBI. The recruitment is done at all India level and the final recruited candidate may be posted to any location in India.
SBI PO Probation Period – The officers hired via the SBI PO exam are termed as Probationary Officers because when a candidate is newly recruited as an officer after clearing SBI Exam, the candidate will be under a probation period for at least 2 years. During this training phase, he/she will learn about the various aspects of banking procedures and perform the various given tasks. PO is the entry-level position where the selected candidates are trained in the basic banking tasks after which they will be appointed as Assistant Manager. Basically, it is the entry phase to get to the higher designation.
In the training phase, the SBI PO will be going through practical training about various banking aspects like Customer Services, passbook printing, account opening, supervision of clerical work, processing loans, etc. After the probation period, the PO needs to undergo screening where you will be accepted as the Officer Middle Management.
SBI PO Job Profile 2020
Being the largest bank with the most number of branches, the candidate gets the opportunity to work with the vastest and diverse class of customers. Initially, you get to post as either a general banking officer or as a credit officer. The jobs handled by each of these posts are as described below:
|General Banking Officer||Credit Officer|
SBI PO Job Profile, Duties & Responsibilities
Some of the important duties and responsibilities of an SBI Bank PO are as follows:-
- Providing customer service – the first and foremost duty of an officer is to provide service to the customers. They need to help customers in various jobs like opening new accounts, ATM cards, deposits, receipts, loans, cheque books, etc.
- Bringing new business- SBI PO officer is liable for promoting the new products of the bank like fixed deposits, insurance policies, mutual funds, credit cards, etc.
- Handling cash-in case of heavy crowd or vacancy of cashier post, the officer needs to perform clerical activities too. Hence the candidate will be trained about transaction software also. If the branch has ATM attached to it then PO needs to ensure the activity of ATM.
- Payment clearances- In the case of any discrepancies related to the customer’s account the officer needs to take the responsibility of clearing the payments. Basically, in the case of payment by cheque, DD, NEFT/ RTGS beyond a certain amount the PO has the authority to clear it.
- Maintaining Records- PO is assigned to generate the reports including withdrawals deposits, ledgers, etc.
- Maintaining an official communication is also a part of SBI PO job work – PO is responsible for keeping a well-maintained official interaction between the customers and other departments. The officers are required to reply to all the e-mails regarding any queries from customers or providing any information to officers of other departments
These are only a few of the many works that are also to be included in the list of the Jobs of PO in SBI Bank.
SBI PO Career Path
Initially, An SBI PO is designated as Junior Management Grade-1 Officer. The officer has to go through a probation period of 2 years. After successful completion of training, the officers have to go through the screening process at various levels and follow a career path as shown in the table below. Click Here to know more about the syllabus and exam pattern to pass the SBI PO exam.
|Scale I||Junior Management Grade Officer or PO|
|Scale II||Middle Management Grade or Manager|
|Scale III||Middle Management Grade or Senior Manager|
|Scale IV||Senior Management Grade or Chief Manager|
|Scale V||Senior Management Grade or Assistant General Manager|
|Scale VI||Top Management Grade or Deputy General Manager|
|Scale VII||Top Management Grade or General Manager|